NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I just replaced my lift bolts... intake was broken.

I drilled out the intake bolt bottom half and the new one went in fine.

Now, i drive and i hit lift a little before 6000... I can hear it, it gets loud, but there is no jolting burst of speed... just a small increase, is this correct?

i am expecting a burst of speed similar to this:
You are driving any automatic transmission car on the highway (NOT A CVT), you are going about 55mph, and you need to pass this jerk in the slow lane so you pull into the next lane and you slam on the gas...
The auto drops down into 3rd gear from 4th almost instantly and you are tossed backwards in your seat a little bit. That is what I am expecting from lift from your alls descriptions. I have driven an Integra GSR before and there isnt quite that much speed jolt but is louder and then slowly really picks up speed.

What should i be expecting???

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
why the hell did you post in 2 different sections?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
to get responses, i want an answer, yet you refuse to give me one :(

·
Registered
661 Posts
I can't really feel anything either, IMO. Maybe it's just the rush of pushing the engine into the high RPMs that's hindering the effect.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
I guess all Celicas don't hit lift the same way, it probably has to do with the overall condition of the engine and electronics. I'll tell you this much: Prior to doing a full rebuild on my 2ZZ (due to a spun bearing) my experience with lift was like this: Good acceleration from 2 to 5k, from 5 to 6k power and acceleration level off, becoming borderline annoying, then lift comes in with a lot of noise but not the rush expected.

Yesterday I hit lift for the first time after the rebuilt and the difference was noticeable. It's not like a turbo kicking in but you do feel the additional burst in speed. Won't kick you back into your seat but if your engine is running good you will like it. It is more noticeable in 1st and 2nd than 3rd or 4th of course. In my case it was as loud as before the rebuild but there was definitely more rush than before. I did clean my intake, TB, MAFS and Short Ram filter with the rebuild too so it is a combination of all of it.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
And mind you: my lift bolts are the original ones that came with the car 6 years ago and they are worn. Guess I might gain a tiny little more when I replace the bolts, don't think it will be noticed by my seat of the pants though.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
GSBoek said:
And mind you: my lift bolts are the original ones that came with the car 6 years ago and they are worn. Guess I might gain a tiny little more when I replace the bolts, don't think it will be noticed by my seat of the pants though.
they may be broken if they're that old. In which case you would notice the difference

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
SlamminS85 said:
dude, you sound like an attention whore... :chuckles:

someone said, it's boost like over the other thread. apparently, that person have never felt boost before...it's not boost like...it's a tiny little pull, that's all...and your car should feels like it's going to fall apart...

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
SlamminS85 said:
to get more responses
dont do that tho. its annoying. and 1 of the 2 will always get closed.

ragingpaseo said:
SlamminS85 said:
dude, you sound like an attention whore... :chuckles:

someone said, it's boost like over the other thread. apparently, that person have never felt boost before...it's not boost like...it's a tiny little pull, that's all...and your car should feels like it's going to fall apart...
:werd: thats like the best way i've ever read an explanation of lift. when im accelerating that hard, usually first gear i feel it the most. second gear roll is pretty noticeable too. but having been in a car w/ forced induction, its 2 totally different things. maybe one day i'll have one of my own..:sadpace: ha.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
something about it just doesnt feel right, it gets louder, but i dont notice any sort of power increase, just feels like it has leveld off

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
when I hit lift...myself and everyone in my car feels it throw them back into their seat.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
I think it's more noticable if you downshift into lift rather than build up to it. Much more of sudden change in engine noise and and rate of making RPM's.

Anyway, what you seem to really want is confirmation that lift is working properly, not that your perception of it is in accordance with the experiences of others. My suggestion is to double check the new bolts and re-torque them down to specs. Other than that, it sounds like it's working just fine.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,530 Posts
GSBoek said:
I guess all Celicas don't hit lift the same way, it probably has to do with the overall condition of the engine and electronics.
True that... before they replaced my head... it definitely SLAMMED into lift... and gave a kick in the pants... since the head replacement... the transition to lift is helluva lot smoother... I don't feel that slam when lift hits.. but it surely rockets....& definitely louder when those valves open up;) I think it is because the range approaching lift improved. The other being that the Celica is not exactly torquey... I definitely feel more pressed into my seat when I mash the 6cyl Avalon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
its like hitting the power band in any other car x2. it shouldn't just get louder, it should pull harder than it does in any other part of the rpm range.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
bassplay13 said:
its like hitting the power band in any other car x2. it shouldn't just get louder, it should pull harder than it does in any other part of the rpm range.
Actually its much louder. And yes.. seeing as its the peak of the power band it would pull harder than lower rpms...

And yes, on occasion people not accustomed to my car spill their drinks when I slam it at 6000.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah there is somethign wrong... my rocker shaft on the intake is otu of allignment, im getting a valve adjustment and rocker-shft re-allignment on monday

1 - 20 of 20 Posts