NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, when I drive my celica, the "O/D OFF" light is always on.
What does that mean? What should I do to sort out the problem and let it go off??
Please help!!!!
Many thanks!!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Automatic car.
O/d. Is a theoretical overdrive. Usually a lock up torque converter, removes slip bringing the final revs down.

od off will be over drive off so that’s the way you want it for normal round town driving.

good job.. pass go and collect 200 dollars.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thats mean overdrive on my car (auto) which allows you to keep the engine in 3rd gear rather than changing up to 4th. this button is very useful for driving up step hills.

Hope this helps
This is not correct.

This doesnt change gears, as stated above it has to do with the torque converter. It tightens up bringing down revs in gear.

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
521 Posts
Recently, when I drive my celica, the "O/D OFF" light is always on.
What does that mean? What should I do to sort out the problem and let it go off??
Please help!!!!
Many thanks!!!
You mean the transmission will not shift into 4th gear?

Does the car stay in 3rd gear even at high speed and you pressed the O/D button on the shift stick?

If so, you transmission is stuck on 3rd and will not shift into 4th gear. Check fluid level. It may be low, need adding.

If fluid level has been in good range, you may need to flush the transmission. I posted procedure to do it somewhere in here. It may help.

If that does not help, you may need to replace the transmission. Rebuilt transmission usually fails within 20K miles.

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Celica
1 Posts
So what exactly is the meaning of o/d off? If it is on, what effect does it have on the car while driving? hope there is a clear explanation, i don't understand this, thanks!

·
Registered
570 Posts
.... it was already explained in an earlier post. Dont pay attention to what peter said it makes zero sense.

O/D off.... is OVERDRIVE OFF, if its ON it locks your torque converter and lowers your rpm. This function is only really used while on a freeway or cruising at a steady or higher speed.

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
18 Posts
Basically gives you more control when towing (never gonna do that with this car lol) or in slippery conditions by lowering RPM when accelerating. I use it here in Chicago area when it's slippery after it snows but not for heavy snow.

·
Registered
308 Posts
No it’s not. It’s for better economy in driving where it locks the convertor to reduce slip thereby lowering the revs . Should show as OFF under about 45mph and around town. Click it to on when on the highway.

if you have an owner’s manual look it up, photo it snd post it up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts