NewCelica.org Forum banner

61 - 80 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
I drive 55miles to work one way daily and regularly run into construction/accident induced bumper to bumper traffic. Usually drive my 5speed GT but occasionally drive my wife's auto Rav4. After an extended time in traffic it is always my right leg that starts complaining, not the left. And it is much worse in the Rav due to having to use the brakes more. I much prefer manuals(at least the ones I've owned Mazda6 and the Celica) to automatics in traffic.

I know that older, aftermarket, or actual sports cars have stiffer clutches and could see that being an issue. But the typical "modern" manual just isn't a problem.

·
Banned
23 Posts
I don't understand why people think that being lazy is the reason why most Americans do not drive standard transmissions.

You can't drive a standard if you don't have a standard to drive. Every car dealership I go to has only automatic transmissions. I got pot lucky the one standard at the dealership was my celica gt. Sure you can order one standard if you want to pay the money for it.

I think a huge reason why there is a surplus of autos in America is the fact that the baby boomer generation is getting into their elder years. All of my friends drive standard transmissions, and my wife and all the other women I know save one drives automatic vehicles.

Meaning, we have a surplus of autos due to the fact that there are a huge tone of old asses driving cars, and there are more women than men, and honestly I bet most women could not drive a standard if their life depended on it, most don't even try (maybe because they apply make up in the car?), and they outnumber men, another reason for the high demand of auto cars.

Personally, I don't think I will ever own all standard vehicles, but all of my fun cars will have a standard transmission.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
The fact of the matter is, as transmission technology continues to improve, you will see fewer and fewer traditonal standard manuals, and more and more high tech autos that allow you to select gears or let the ECU do it as a matter of choice.

From the standpoint of purposeful driving -- real racing or getting from point A to B -- any attention taken from steering, acellerating and braking slow you down. That's why both grocery getters and F1 cars work well with some form of automatic transmission.

From the perspective of someone who enjoys the "visceral feel" of driving, the nuances of adeptly working a clutch pedal and gear shift lever contiguously are clearly sublime experiences -- however, neither are necessarily required for performance. In fact, all the serious sports cars have a SMT of some sort that shifts faster and more precisely than any traditional standard.

And people seem to like it.

On that note, the visceral feel argument was probably also once given by people who shuddered at the thought of sitting inside a cold machine instead of on top of their faithful horse.

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
The fact of the matter is, as transmission technology continues to improve, you will see fewer and fewer traditonal standard manuals, and more and more high tech autos that allow you to select gears or let the ECU do it as a matter of choice.

From the standpoint of purposeful driving -- real racing or getting from point A to B -- any attention taken from steering, acellerating and braking slow you down. That's why both grocery getters and F1 cars work well with some form of automatic transmission.

From the perspective of someone who enjoys the "visceral feel" of driving, the nuances of adeptly working a clutch pedal and gear shift lever contiguously are clearly sublime experiences -- however, neither are necessarily required for performance. In fact, all the serious sports cars have a SMT of some sort that shifts faster and more precisely than any traditional standard.

On that note, the visceral feel argument was probably also once given by people who shuddered at the thought of sitting inside a cold machine instead of on top of their faithful horse.
I'm a dinosaur. Give me a manual tranny, no power steering and some sort of violent engine behind me such as an air cooled flat six or a flat crank V8, that violates all modern noise ordinances.

·
Banned
1,470 Posts

Nicely said. Now lets go 10 posts up and add to this by stating automatics will be cheaper to produce.

·
fools runnin a Honda 2000
3,854 Posts
Driven a young child or an elderly person in a stick car before? even shifting flawlessly, most of them will get car stick.
never thought i had to share this but i did drove my 94 year old grandma and my 8 year old cousin to visit my mom who was sick one time. i dont know how else to tell you? i was super careful ill tell you that

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Also ShadowGT does not know what he is talking about. All he does is keep contradicting himself. When renfield comes back he is going to rip him apart.
Not even worth my time. I think I said enough in my first post to make my point, which is that anyone who tries to insult or make judgements of anyone else based on their car's transmission is just plain stupid and immature.

I think some of you auto proponents don't fully understand a lot of the limitations of this design, especially as far as performance is concerned. My car is currently retired from any kind of motorsports, and while I'm very seriously thinking about bringing it back out starting next year due to some very beneficial classing changes, I feel like I'm gonna be pushing my luck on reliability. This thing has been an absolute tank but it can't hold forever.

·
Boobze
3,237 Posts
Do people really think we bought an auto on purpose? Where is anyone claiming they like their auto and think it's superior to a MT?

Stop beating a dead horse.

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
Do people really think we bought an auto on purpose? Where is anyone claiming they like their auto and think it's superior to a MT?

I bought my Fusion on close out and with my options it would have been next to impossible to find a manual. Plus how many people want to buy and resell a manual Ford Fusion?

·
Boobze
3,237 Posts
I bought my Fusion on close out and with my options it would have been next to impossible to find a manual. Plus how many people want to buy and resell a manual Ford Fusion?
Exactly. You could say the same thing about the celica. I knew this was going to be a college beater when I got it. It's a hell of a lot easier selling an auto than a manual. It's mostly girls that want to buy it and even if they could, most of them don't want to drive a manual.

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
Exactly. You could say the same thing about the celica. I knew this was going to be a college beater when I got it. It's a hell of a lot easier selling an auto than a manual. It's mostly girls that want to buy it and even if they could, most of them don't want to drive a manual.
I do not mind it. My future wife has a Suzuki ****ty SUV that is about on its last leg. I will sell that and either give her the Fusion or continue to drive it. Either way at the end of the day the daily driver is the daily driver.

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Autos are boring. I don't care how fast they change gears, I will keep my manual cars than you very much. And if you know how to drive a manual car properly, you will get much better gas mileage than you ever will out of an auto (this only goes for underpowered 4cyl cars such as the Celica).

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
Autos are boring. I don't care how fast they change gears, I will keep my manual cars than you very much. And if you know how to drive a manual car properly, you will get much better gas mileage than you ever will out of an auto (this only goes for underpowered 4cyl cars such as the Celica).
City mileage you will depending on driving habits and as far as the auto goes it depends on your driving conditions and how many times the auto has to downshift etc.

If you drove a manual Celica GT on a flat surface and an auto one pure highway I would bet you the auto gets better mileage based on the fact that it can keep rpms under 3000 due to tall gearing if it needed then it downshifts. A manual is always going to have shorter gearing on the final gear.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts

Sig.

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
City mileage you will depending on driving habits and as far as the auto goes it depends on your driving conditions and how many times the auto has to downshift etc.

If you drove a manual Celica GT on a flat surface and an auto one pure highway I would bet you the auto gets better mileage based on the fact that it can keep rpms under 3000 due to tall gearing if it needed then it downshifts. A manual is always going to have shorter gearing on the final gear.
That is why I said if you know how to drive, not if you drive like maniac. City mileage the manual will win every time. As for highway driving, I will say it will depend on conditions, but it will be nearly identical. For either uphill or downhill driving the manual will do better because you can control your engine speed better in a manual going uphill, and you can either coast in neutral, or use engine braking going downhill. Overall you will get better gas mileage with a manual, that is not up for debate.

61 - 80 of 139 Posts