NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this might sound stupid, but I heard that some gas stations have better fuel than others. Is that true? Or is fuel, fuel? Also what octane do you put in your Celica? I am looking for a station in my area that has 93 but can't find any.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn, my poor car has been deprived all this time. I have put 91 octane in it. All the stations in my area only have 91, do you know how I can find out what stations in my area carry 93 or higher?

·
Registered
290 Posts
chevron with techron...91 octane

·
Registered
666 Posts
oh, wait.

fuel ain't fuel...at least in europe. we have a-grade, b-grade and c-grade.

c-grade: really really bad quality. some cheap no-name gas stations sell this kind of fuel. never ever fill up your car with this kind of fuel.

b-grade: some bigger gas-station chains like "agip", "elf" and the like use this kind of fuel. i did put this kind of fuel in my car ONCE. and trust me, it was the last time. i even put their highest rated fuel (98 octane). my ecu instantly switched into safe-mode and my car toped out at 200 km/h.

a-grade: the good stuff! 91,95,98,99 octane available. the gas is more expensive and only the big gas-station-chains have this fuel. 99 is the max octane available and that is what i put in my car. no ecu-safe-mode (even with 95octane). car tops out at approx 235-245 km/h (hard to tell, cause at these speeds i normaly don't watch the guages no more!)

;-)

kawika the autobahn-bugsmasher ;-) lol

·
Registered
241 Posts
Before This goes any further its important to note that according the Toyota:

The GT-S: Requires Premium or the highest Octane fuel available they recommend 93 Octane, although you can go higher if desired

The GT: Requires Regular, do not waste your money by putting premium in a GT there is no added benefit from this it only costs you more in the end.

The reason the GT-S requires Premium is because the engine runs at a different Compression Ratio (among other things) and can actually take advantage of the added benefits found in premium (high octane fuels).

I just want to clear that up before someone with a GT went out and started spending their money on more expensive fuel when it wont do a thing for the car.

Mike

·
Registered
36 Posts
In th US, all gasoline(and desil) gets distributed around the country through the same set of pipelines. It works on an accounting system, so there is no wait time for the oil companies. If puts 1,000 gallons into the pipes in texas on tuesday, it can pull 1,000 gallons out of the system in maine on the same day. The gas it recieves might be it's own, or it might be refined by someone else. After the gas is removed from the pipelines is when extras are added to raise the octane, or add technron or whatever. Even then, there really isn't much difference. It's mostly marketing these days. About the only thing you have to be careful of is high octane gas at low volume gas stations. As high octane is generally sold at a slower pace than low octane, the gas will sit in the storage tank longer, giving water a better change to mix with the gas.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
The highest fuel you can readily purchase in So Cal is 91 Octane, you can find 100 Octane at certain Union76 stations.
Whenever you go high compression or forced induction you have to go higher octane fuel. My GT turbo require 91+ Octane.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.