NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've read countless forums on the tensioner problem (which is one i'm dealing with right now) but what exactly happens? there's a bearing and a spring right? does the bearing go out easily? maybe it just needs some lube...
and how does the gatorback work with a 'broken' tensioner. wouldn't the same problem occur, regardless of the material its made out of?
thanks for n e help

-aaron

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
The strut on the upper half of the tensioner is what breaks. The lubricating oil escapes from it, and the piston seizes. The lack of tension causes wear on the belt and eventually makes it squeal. The Gatorback is made specifically to eliminate squealing, even after the wear created by a broken tensioner. It's a synthetic material (maybe silicone), not rubber like normal belts.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i shouldn't waste my time/money on the tensioner, because the gatorback isn't affected by this prob? actually i don't really feel like jacking up my engine (i heard this is what u have to do to get that long ass bolt out) so i'll just buy the belt and call it good. thanks for the reply bluebomber. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I got a price quote from toyota about the tensioner and they are charging me 380 bucks to replace it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts