NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked my spark plugs and they are looking quite worn. My coils also have cracks in the plastic. Any aftermarket stuff I should go for? Should I stick with OEM? Im going for Gas milage over performance if that narrows it down a bit.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Coils with cracks may still work to spec. If they don't, engine will have misfires.

You can buy both plugs and coils direct from DENSOAUTOPARTS.COM, prices pretty cheap. I think major auto part stores also sell DENSO parts at same prices, but they don't always have stock.

For electrical parts, I would avoid off brands and many counterfeits sold in eBay and Amazon. They fail quickly.

·
Registered
427 Posts
NGK or Denso plugs.

coils up to you, but I bought the ebay ones, only done 2x 24 hour races so far.

You do understand that counterfeit means non denso in a denso box. Or non AC Delco in an AC Delco box, or non Toyota in a Toyota box, don’t you.

Counterfeit does NOT mean Delphi branded coils, xyz branded coils, Taiwan coils in boxes that look like Toyota boxes but say coils.
The Taiwan non genuine coils are excellent quality number one GI good. From the same factory as your denso, or do you still think the Denso ones are made by the tooth fairy in nippon.

·
Registered
570 Posts
2 out of 4 original DENSO ignition coils are still running smooth in my car after 335K miles.

The slightly cheaper off brands lasted only 20K miles then started misfiring. A Bosch and AC Delphi coil are still in the car running after 60K miles.

Why take a chance, waste time and headache. Buy direct from DENSO you will have authentic parts, the most reliable electrical parts at the lowest prices in the market.

DENSO also sells reman starters and alternators cheap. DENSO's reliability is unbelievable. My original DENSO alternator after 330K miles stopped charging. The carbon commutators wore down too far, not making contact. Bought them for $6, screw them in, the alternator worked perfectly again.

·
Registered
711 Posts
2 out of 4 original DENSO ignition coils are still running smooth in my car after 335K miles.

The slightly cheaper off brands lasted only 20K miles then started misfiring. A Bosch and AC Delphi coil are still in the car running after 60K miles.

Why take a chance, waste time and headache. Buy direct from DENSO you will have authentic parts, the most reliable electrical parts at the lowest prices in the market.

DENSO also sells reman starters and alternators cheap. DENSO's reliability is unbelievable. My original DENSO alternator after 330K miles stopped charging. The carbon commutators wore down too far, not making contact. Bought them for $6, screw them in, the alternator worked perfectly again.
So.... whats the point of ur post exactly? I dont recall the OP giving a crap about ur alternator or starters.

Denso is not aftermarket. They are who make majority of the sensors and coils for Toyota.

A big long ass post could be condensed into 2 words, "buy denso".

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
65 Posts
I like OEM and I like bargains, lol. I bought OEM coils from Amazon (not officially Toyota, but they're Denso - and they fit and work so far):

A lot cheaper than from a dealership.

I bought spark plugs directly from a nearby dealership - worked out cheaper than any place else by a couple bucks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, Thanks for the input! Ive decided that I will keep using the current OEM coils I have because they work fine enough, and NGK or Denso iridium plugs. Im not sure what kind of plugs I will go with tho, as I dont know much about NGK and Denso has different variations (iridium, iridium TT, iridium long-life, etc). Any recomendations there? And what about gaping? Stock or just a slight lean twoard one side or the other? They will be going into a 2ZZ.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Alright, Thanks for the input! Ive decided that I will keep using the current OEM coils I have because they work fine enough, and NGK or Denso iridium plugs. Im not sure what kind of plugs I will go with tho, as I dont know much about NGK and Denso has different variations (iridium, iridium TT, iridium long-life, etc). Any recomendations there? And what about gaping? Stock or just a slight lean twoard one side or the other? They will be going into a 2ZZ.
Go to the parts store and buy ngk iridium plugs. Theyre pre gapped, just put them in.

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
570 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you want OEM spark plugs, this is the part number: 90080-91180 - Spark Plug - 1992-2012 Toyota | Boch Toyota South (which I believe are SK20R11)
Looks like a OEM Denso plug hehe. The original plugs in my car were Denso Irridium, lasted over 200K miles

There were reports NGK plugs did not run well in Toyota products. To avoid wasting time and headache just buy the same original components that came with the car from factory.
Alright, Probably will get those. I have 2 different spark plug part numbers in right now and im not sure why. Both are denso and are 1 letter or number off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ended up getting the SK20R11s. Feels slightly more responsive when accelerating, 2 of the plugs were original from factory. The number I mistook was the 3 digit number on the side of the plug, thats what was different. Otherwise they were SK20R11s.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Checked my spark plugs and they are looking quite worn. My coils also have cracks in the plastic. Any aftermarket stuff I should go for? Should I stick with OEM? Im going for Gas milage over performance if that narrows it down a bit.
Stick with the denso iridium. The wrong plug can mean disaster !!.....led me to a rebuild !

·
Registered
427 Posts
NGK std (bkr6E11) would not lead to a rebuild.
Bosch platinums would not lead to a rebuild.

I don’t follow your statement that anything other than denso iridium would cause a rebuild. That’s a long bow to draw.

Incorrect length protruding plugs, too long or too short can cause issues.

Iridium is used for a smaller electrode, effective better spark and much longer service duration.

Branding is not really important, it’s a personal nor marketing preference.

If your prepared to change them regularly you will see no difference if you use a std copper core plug.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,835 Posts
2way said:
Denso Plugs:
GT = SK16R11 Stock OE long-life Iridium, IK16 "Power" Iridium
GT-S = SK20R11 Stock OE long-life Iridium, IK20 "Power" Iridium

NGK Plugs:
GT = IFR5A11 Stock OE Laser Iridium, BKR5EIX-11 "Power"
GT-S = IFR6A11 Stock OE Laser Iridium, BKR6EIX-11 "Power"
The Densos & NGK's are essentially the same plugs... the major differences are between the SKs & the IKs/IFs & the BKs... the SKs & the IFs are long life versions with slightly larger tips and have platinum ground electrodes that the Power versions don't have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love my 2000 GT....but I also have a 2001 Corolla with the same engine ( 5 speed manual) that will beat the pants off the Celica...huhuhu. before rebuilding the Corolla I burned an exhaust valve, actually blew a pie shaped piece off of it. I was using Bosch platinum spark plugs....a mech told me to switch back to Denso Iridiums. The car is a rocket now to the point I laugh when I drive it....stick with Denso.....

·
Registered
711 Posts
I love my 2000 GT....but I also have a 2001 Corolla with the same engine ( 5 speed manual) that will beat the pants off the Celica...huhuhu. before rebuilding the Corolla I burned an exhaust valve, actually blew a pie shaped piece off of it. I was using Bosch platinum spark plugs....a mech told me to switch back to Denso Iridiums. The car is a rocket now to the point I laugh when I drive it....stick with Denso.....
... ur spark plug will not make ur car more powerful or faster. This has been proved agian and agian. Nor will there be any performance difference from platinum to iridium other than how long the electrode lasts.

Copper will do literally the same exact thing just wont last for shit.

2000 GTS Turbo

1 - 20 of 22 Posts