NewCelica.org Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
are you crazy, everything is illegal in cali... you cant even run a 4bbl carb on an engine that came with a 2bbl no mater what year it is, grandfather or not

and the lowdown on nos. its ILLEGAL. EVERYWHERE. dont have the bottle connected and your all gravey tho, but cops arnt exactly mechanical savvy so they will probably still write you a ticket if you have a disconnected bottle sitting in the trunk. best thing to do is hide it very well, or dont physicly keep the bottle in the car when your not on the track.

Obtaining NOS: any welding suply place will sell it to you, my family has opperated a welding shop before, its as simple as taking an empty tank to the place and saying, 'hook me up brotha', only problem is they usually just take your empty tank and give you a full one so youll probably have to shop around for a place that does on spot refills. maybe buy two bottles and leave one overnight for refill when you have a full sitting in the car? i dono, but nos isnt that hard to get, just dont go though an aftermarket store, they'll charge you out tha booty.

fingers are hurting now, im done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
zac83 said:
are you crazy, everything is illegal in cali... you cant even run a 4bbl carb on an engine that came with a 2bbl no mater what year it is, grandfather or not

and the lowdown on nos. its ILLEGAL. EVERYWHERE. dont have the bottle connected and your all gravey tho, but cops arnt exactly mechanical savvy so they will probably still write you a ticket if you have a disconnected bottle sitting in the trunk. best thing to do is hide it very well, or dont physicly keep the bottle in the car when your not on the track.

Obtaining NOS: any welding suply place will sell it to you, my family has opperated a welding shop before, its as simple as taking an empty tank to the place and saying, 'hook me up brotha', only problem is they usually just take your empty tank and give you a full one so youll probably have to shop around for a place that does on spot refills. maybe buy two bottles and leave one overnight for refill when you have a full sitting in the car? i dono, but nos isnt that hard to get, just dont go though an aftermarket store, they'll charge you out tha booty.

fingers are hurting now, im done.
This is incorrect. I ran a 4bbl carb on my 66 stang with no problems, and this was back when you had to smog 66 and above. No, the car did not come with the 4bbl. Anyways. In cali you can have the nitrous, just not have it hooked up. Its legal for 'off road use only'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
710 Posts
Must be a local state law because there is a national law that says you can transport as much nitrous as you want up to 1001 lbs. Heck you can transport 1000lbs of TNT if you want to.


Basically if you get pulled over and you have nitrous installed they cant do jack about it, and they canr proove you were using it.



SiCivic99 said:


Ummmm, No. Check again. It is ILLEGAL to use nitrous on the street in California.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
cruzerz545 said:
Must be a local state law because there is a national law that says you can transport as much nitrous as you want up to 1001 lbs. Heck you can transport 1000lbs of TNT if you want to.


Basically if you get pulled over and you have nitrous installed they cant do jack about it, and they canr proove you were using it.



I never said anything about transporting it, I said USING it. I know I can have it in my car and all, thats not my point. If its hooked up to where I could use it, then its illegal. Having it there and not hooked up is not illegal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
pensfan83 said:
It definitely varies from location to location. I can't remember where, but you could even have it hooked up as long as you didn't use it on the street :rolleyes:
I called the CHP to clarify California law and the use of nitrous. He couldn't find it so he is going to call me back sometime tomorrow. I will let you all know what they say.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
you can have nos here in CA and if you have the pressure set to ZERO they will let you go. Also they cant dedect if you were using it so dont worry imean if you were speeding they wont check your car etc. i know of a guy who had a GTS and got pulled over and teh cop saw his braidig cables casue his rear seat was removed he found hte nos but didnt make him take it off cause it was set to zero the pressure taht is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,556 Posts
SiCivic99 said:


I called the CHP to clarify California law and the use of nitrous. He couldn't find it so he is going to call me back sometime tomorrow. I will let you all know what they say.
Well, actually, if any nitrous kit can get CARB certified, that means that they are not inherently going to be illegal (like an exhaust that removes the catalytic converter would be for example), it simply means that they are taken on a case-by-case basis.

For example, although the TRD header for the MkI MR2 is not legal for street use, the TRD header for the 83-89 4 cylinder pickup truck is just fine--because it has an executive order from the California Air Resources Board.

So at any rate, yes, although they do nothing different from the kits listed in CARB's database of exempt nitrous products, the kits available from companies like Zex and Nitrous Express would in fact be illegal to use on public roads in California.

Although again, not all nitrous kits and/or products are illegal in California.

Also, although every officer will enforce the law in his own way, they have no authority to issue a ticket for ANY kit or product with an exemption issued by the State of California.

However, procedure dictates that if a product DOES NOT have an exemption granted it by the State of California, regardless of whether or not it's in use, if it's actually installed on the car and is capable of being used (in other words if it's hooked up and has pressure, thereby making it able to be used without having to install or refill anything), that a fix-a-ticket should be issued, and the product in question should be removed, and that the removal should be verified and signed off on by a CHP officer.

This is kind of like the laws governing possession of firearms in a vehicle in California.

You can have the gun, but it has to be in another compartment, and can't be loaded. So if it's unloaded and in the passenger's seat, even if there is no ammo in the car, the officer is supposed to issue a misdemeanor citation and take the offender to jail.

Most cops will just tell the driver to remove his head from his rear-end, put the gun in the trunk, and let him go.

Also, if the gun is loaded in the trunk, it's the same level misdemeanor, although unless the offender was perceived to be a threat to society at large, odds are the officer would let this go too.

At any rate, just a couple notes on how the law works in California.

P.S., There's really not much to stop an officer from offering you his version of the law, so don't be surprised if you encounter someone who simply doesn't know better. If you've actually seen the thousands of pages of law just for the highways of California, you know how hard it would be to keep them all straight, so cut your local officers some slack--most of them are really good guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
It's not legal anywhere. Let a cop see the tank and see if they don't write you a ticket for carrying explosive material w/out a permit. And if it's connected to the motor and they check...bye bye car. Experience Sucks.....

Wil
It is not explosive. They wouldn't use it in reddi wip cans if that was true. In that case it's the pressure that would cause an explosion, not the Nitrous Oxide.
 
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Top