NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum, I've had my Celica for about 4 months. Its my second Celica, my first was a 1984 coupe when I was in high school. I am a huge fan of the toyota and lexus brand. My last car was an 06 IS350. and also own an 08 tundra camping rig.

Ever since I got the car I have noticed that it doesnt handle things like washboard and the tires seem to spin extremely easily.

On the back roads where I live, most are nice and smooth and I dont have many issues, except that I am cautious about the cheap off-branded tires on the front. But, like last night, I had a BRZ that wanted to play around, which is fun when I dont have to worry about my front tires spending half the time in the air and the other half spinning faster than road speed.

One thing I noticed is that the fronts are one size taller than stock (which should bring the torque down a tad). But in lower gears, which are better for the winding back roads, if I hit 6k rpm my tires still wanna break loose and the only thing to do to regain traction is to let off the gas.

The other big issue is the suspension. I know the shocks and struts need to be replaced, and this is the cause of the loss of traction on uneven roads, i.e. the suspension is not keeping the tires on the pavement when they hit the bumps.

My question is this: which would be more beneficial to replace first? Tires or suspension? I cant afford to replace them both at the same time.

My plan is to bring the tire height back down, but to go wider. I was looking at 225/45r16. When I do the suspension, I want to go pretty much stock, maybe a slight drop (less than an inch) if any at all.

Comments? suggestions?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Unless you're dealing with snow/ice, replace the suspension first. Depending on how much suspension components your car needs, it will get pricey.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was planning on replacing shocks, struts, and springs. Obviously I will check out bushings and sway bars, but the only issues I am feeling right now feel like bad struts and shocks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a bushing kit, or which ones are standard to replace regularly?

Does anyone make a stock height spring, or slightly lower? I dont want to go with a ~2" drop.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Is there a bushing kit, or which ones are standard to replace regularly?

Does anyone make a stock height spring, or slightly lower? I dont want to go with a ~2" drop.
I wouldn't know about a poly bushing kit. My bushings came with my new Eibach sway bar with end links. I'm also moderately dropped 1.5 inches on Tein springs. Just read around here and find what combination sounds more tasteful for your needs. My suspension mods thus far: new rear sway bar kit(bushings and end links included), Tein lowering springs(1.5 drop all around) on KYB shock absorbers, new rear suspension crossmember, and APR front strut brace.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I would replace the suspension parts first

If you want to retain some confort with better handling capability i recommend
KYB excel g (10% more firm) paired with H&R springs 1.3" drop).

good price with much better handling

:puff:

·
Registered
393 Posts
I would replace the suspension parts first

If you want to retain some confort with better handling capability i recommend
KYB excel g (10% more firm) paired with H&R springs 1.3" drop).

good price with much better handling

:puff:
Hey, this is exactly what I have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts