NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would cause turning hard left with a quick jerk of the steering wheel to be less responsive than doing the same thing towards the right? I am lost but turning the steering wheel quickly to the left is not near as responsive as the right side and I cannot figure out why. Anybody got any ideas?

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Originally posted by DopeCelicaGT
What would cause turning hard left with a quick jerk of the steering wheel to be less responsive than doing the same thing towards the right? I am lost but turning the steering wheel quickly to the left is not near as responsive as the right side and I cannot figure out why. Anybody got any ideas?
Get the car corner balanced.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shrumdude said:
The front right coilover is softer than the front left?

Tire pressure?

You weigh a lot and are messing up the weight distribution?:gap:

Is this a new development?
Nope!

Nope!

Definitely do not way a whole lot. 160lbs. :chuckles:

No, this is not a new development.

MicaCeli said:
Get the car corner balanced.
Even if corner balancing helps this the car was doing this before I switched over to the coilovers.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I am thinking the same thing and the sad thing is I just got an alignment this last Tuesday.

Take it back. Trust me, I had to take back the Celica after I put the new suspension on and had it aligned--you could see the camber on the rear tires.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JohnnyWash1 said:
Take it back. Trust me, I had to take back the Celica after I put the new suspension on and had it aligned--you could see the camber on the rear tires.
I would LOL but I am scared that they will mess up my rims even more. They scratched them all up last time.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JohnnyWash1 said:
Make them refinish your rims. Jeez, they messed up your car.
I would but it is on the polished lip part of the wheel. There isn't really much that can be done about it besides putting them on a lathe and turning them again andthen polishing it out.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I would but it is on the polished lip part of the wheel. There isn't really much that can be done about it besides putting them on a lathe and turning them again andthen polishing it out.
It isn't your job to decide how to fix them--just make sure they do.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
DopeCelicaGT said:
Even if corner balancing helps this the car was doing this before I switched over to the coilovers.
As everyone has mentioned it could be the alignment. It also could be the right-left weight distribution of the whole car. If you'll notice the transmission tends to ere to the drivers side. Along with the battery AND the driver!

I would expect some of this weight to affect the transient response between right and left turns.

If this is the case, then a corner balancing should be able to solve this problem. And I would corner balance the car before I got another alignment.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I am still a little confused on the corner balancing thing and I know of nobody around here that can do it or has a clue what I am talking about. The only people I know of that have a clue are the autocross guys but nobody can tell me anywhere to take the car to get it done.

Justin

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Well then you might not have any options. I personally don't know of any places down by your way.

One alternative, and it by no means is an accurate measure, is to set the car on level ground and measure the distance between the top of your rim and the fenderwell. Make sure the two sides for the front are as close as you can make them. This should get you as close as you can get to being the proper height left and right, given you don't have access to a shop with a corner weighting scale.

Like I said, this is VERY rough, as you don't even know the weight distribution between left and right, front and rear. But honestly, your problem wouldn't be any different from any of us that hasn't corner balanced their car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.