NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after getting my hopes shot down by the sales manager at a Mitsu dealer today, i've decided the celi has to go. i found a brand new '03 (yes, i said '03) Evo with the moonroof and wing for 26,722. its been sitting in the showroom and has less than 20 miles on it. so anyways... i owe 7800 on my car. i checked edmunds.com for my trade in value before i headed over to the dealer and it gave me 9200. so i thought i was set and i had it all planned out how i was gonna work it...

well the sales manager called the head gm and they only wanted to give me 5000 for my car. i laughed and said it was worth 9000 according to edmunds. so i said i want a atleast 8500. ( i didnt want to owe anything getting rid of that). so the salesman went back and then the manager came over to me. he said he couldnt do the 8500, but would me halfway in between 5000 and 7800. i said nope, no thanks, and said i didnt want to owe anything on that car. he said he couldnt help me then and i walked out.

so now i REALLY want that car and will have it in my hands very soon one way or another!!!! tomorrow my car is definitely going on autotrader.com and for sale stickers are going on it. but my question to you guys is, should i keep it as is and ask for a little more and include all my stock parts (i have every single part i swapped off) or should i return it all to stock and sell it and break even? what would you guys do?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Beings that you'll never get what you put into it I would just keep it and wait till it's paid off then buy the new car, by then they'll be something new out you'll want and you still have the celi, at least that's what i would do, too nice of a car to let go for that price.;)

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was waiting for that kind of response. but im gonna say right now, i dont care. with all the driving i do, i want a brand new car. i want 0 miles. i've never owned a brand new car before and i've never wanted another car more than this one, especially after knowing i could get it that cheap, and get it down a little bit more too :)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Well, if you havent done too much to the car then swap it back to stock and sell all your aftermarket parts on here...if your like me and have done way to much stuff and somethings cant even be swapped back then sell it as a whole...

·
Registered
404 Posts
bring the celica back to stock if u don't get an acceptable offer for a modded car. 26k is good price, but u can get them to go lower if they've had it for 2 years.

time is your friend on cars. u can drive the celcia for another 18 months and maybe the FQ will be on sale here.

·
North East OG member
12,472 Posts
boxologist said:
bring the celica back to stock if u don't get an acceptable offer
:werd: x 2

hey matt why not pay off ur car with-in the next year (the 7800) and then put that down towards a trade in?? plus IMO u shouldn't get a 1 year car of any generation. too much/many small problems (maybe even big 1's)

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by IllicaCelica
Well, if you havent done too much to the car then swap it back to stock and sell all your aftermarket parts on here...if your like me and have done way to much stuff and somethings cant even be swapped back then sell it as a whole...
well if you cant tell from the pic in my sig, i have done alot to my car. but it is nothing that i cant swap back all on my own.

Originally posted by TRD StreetRacing
:werd: x 2

hey matt why not pay off ur car with-in the next year (the 7800) and then put that down towards a trade in?? plus IMO u shouldn't get a 1 year car of any generation. too much/many small problems (maybe even big 1's)
i really dont want to wait that long to pay it off. i didnt have too much fun with a lowered car in NE weather last year, if you know what i mean. i want an AWD snow monster that will let me go through anything, anywhere. and about the 1g of a car, im not worried about that. thats why mitsu has the 10 yr/100k mile powertrain, 5 yr/50k mile bumper to bumper, 3 yr/45k mile FREE scheduled maintenance, and 24 hr roadside assistance. i screwed myself getting the celica used with 42k miles. because once i did fall out of the 50k mile warranty, thats when things started breaking :(

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Just out of curiosity did you call your insurance company and get an insurance quote?

I know Evo's had very hard sales near me because of the high insurance involved. I had a friend do what you are doing and sell the Evo a week later when he found out his insurance was over 6 grand a year. Then he wound up with something he did not want and was miserable.

Best of luck with what you decideto do, but make sure you check your insurance. You might get to the payment you can afford and then realize your insurance is another 3-400 a month.

And I also would wait... It's gonna be hard to get a dealer to give you exactly what your car is worth. Mods decreas the value according to them. Selling it yourself you'd have better luck, but that whole engine thing is gonna cause some issues.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
i have received offers of $3000, $6000, $8000, and finaly $7500 from different dealers.

my suggestion is, since you're not in a rush, wait until you get exactly what you're looking for and a perfect deal.

your celica runs great for crying out loud!

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
no more celi? but you put so much work into it! one of the nicest one around here.
The evo is bad-ass tho so i don't blame you. For what i've seen around here if your part it out you'll get the most cash. Maybe sell all the aftermarket parts and then trade it in.

What about a WRX? Turbo AWD for half the price. Of course not as nice looking.

·
Registered
120 Posts
When I bought my 03 Evo in June, they had like $2000 rebate on 03s and $500 Customer Loyalty (ya gotta know somebody with a Mitsu who will say their your "family") so I got the EVO for like $26k and I know I left some $ on the table. Figure Invoice minus $2500. The rebates on 03s may even be higher now. Do some research find out the what the lowest price is the dealer can do on the car. If it's an 03 they want to move that cause the car is costing them $ every month.

Boch gave me 12500 (I owed 6500) for my 01 GTS with 65k, I had brought my car back to stock and it was spotless (they never even drove it) and I believe they sold it within like 10 days at the Boch used car store on Rt1 for like 14k! Also I was a bitch and stood my ground and I told them if they didn't screw around I would buy today. If the dealer will not give you the money for your trade then I would buy some snow tires for the Celica and try to sell it yourself. Your car looks nice. Be patient, don't let em 4Q. The warranty on the O3s are not the same as the O4s. I wonder if your Celica was totalled how much $ would you get??

there's also some fat rebate on R32s

·
Registered
605 Posts
if u really want the car u should definitely part out....the $ u make off of the parts will get u closer to ur desired trade in price....

the only thing i would seriously check is insurance cost...

my 2 yen...

GTS-6

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by KrysyGT
Just out of curiosity did you call your insurance company and get an insurance quote?
i actually did and believe it or not, it was gonna cost more to insure the SRT4 if i got that. right now i pay $2700/year on the celica. if i get the Evo, it will jump up to 3600 or 3700 for the SRT. but this coming feb. is my 6th year, so it will drop right down another grand. i have a friend at an insurance company and her and i were doing different scenario's to see how much i would pay and stuff. so at most, its 3600 for a few months which is no biggie. i was paying that 2 years ago.

Originally posted by twistedGTS
What about a WRX? Turbo AWD for half the price. Of course not as nice looking.
i used to love the wrx's. but since my friend had one and got rid of it, i dont like them anymore for some reason. i dont know why.

thanks gtsaction. im gonna try and see what westboro mitsu will do for me. thats where i test drove the evo the other day. maybe they'll offer me more money for my car. im gonna call them up today

·
North East OG member
12,472 Posts
hey matt i know you put ALOT of miles on ur cars, so why don't u get a beater for everyday stuff and then get car u want for cruzin', going out ...ect

i know from first hand experiece that if you put a "sports car" under a second car in ur name it's going to be much less. gieco wanted 4000+ when put the celi as the primary car. then when i put it down as the secondary car it droped down to about 2700+. this way u can put ur beater as the primary car and put it on the insurence and still pay the same as if u put the "sports car" as the primary

get me??

BTW...i know u want a "new" car but look into the wrx too. if not used, u should be able to get a new 1 for about 22-23k ......

but then again u said u don't like em' no more....so not too sure what to tell you

·
Registered
773 Posts
nothin beats buying a new car. If your going to be trading it in then def part it out and sell all the parts you get more money back also dealerships have trouble selling modded cars which prob explains the low trade in price they gave you. I went through all this when I was trying to get rid of my celli. unless you can find someone who wants it the way it is your better off parting it out.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
speedeeGTS said:
i actually did and believe it or not, it was gonna cost more to insure the SRT4 if i got that. right now i pay $2700/year on the celica. if i get the Evo, it will jump up to 3600 or 3700 for the SRT. but this coming feb. is my 6th year, so it will drop right down another grand. i have a friend at an insurance company and her and i were doing different scenario's to see how much i would pay and stuff. so at most, its 3600 for a few months which is no biggie. i was paying that 2 years ago.

Didn't you think your insurance was going to drop once before and it didn't?

Please tell me you aren't talking about the SRT4 Neon?

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE

well today i got a message on my cell from the sales manager saying he had good news. so i called him and he says he talked to his auction guy and he said that he would pay the 7800 for my car. now, what im thinking is that the auction guy probably thinks he's gonna get my car "as-is" with all my parts and make some decent cake off it. but what he doesnt know is that im stripping my car completely naked of all the aftermarket parts.

so i told the manager i would think about it and give him a call tomorrow. do you guys think i should do it? take the pay off or should i keep pushing for what i wanted (the $8500) since that guy seems so eager to have my car. either way, im giving the car up as a stock gts. and the money i make off my parts and about another $2K i'll use as a down payment.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by KrysyGT
Didn't you think your insurance was going to drop once before and it didn't?

Please tell me you aren't talking about the SRT4 Neon?
no, i never thought it was going to drop. i was hoping i was going to win my appeal for an accident that happen almost 3 years ago. but i didnt win it and my rates unfortunately stayed the same. but i got the quote from my friend and my actual insurance rep. mass has a standard way of setting rates, thats why they were pretty much the same

and yes, i was considering the SRT4. but i kicked myself in the as$ and woke up and realized i did not want that car!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts