NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called Toyota to take my Celi in for an oil change. The dude on the other end of the phone brings up my computer records and tells me it's time for my 48,000 km service (30,000 miles)/3 year service. Now, about 9 months ago I had my 32,000 km service/2 year service.

They will rotate the tires, do an oil and filter change, change the manual tranny fluid and whatever else comes with the yearly service scheduele....OK fine, but then I check my service scheduele manual that came with the car and it states that the tranny fluid should only be changed every 60,000 km's. I am just wondering if this is to make some extra cash for the dealer. My $25 oil change went to a $160 yearly maintenance. I don't see whay it is an extra $135 to rotate my tires and change the tranny fluid. Seems a little excessive, espescially considering when the manual even states I do not need to have my tranny fluid changed for another 12,000 km's.

So, basically when should the tranny fluid be changed and how much should this cost? Also, do you guys get your yearly service at Toyota, do it yourself, or an independent place.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
My advise to people is to get to know the sevice manager at the the dealer. Let him subtly know that you are a bit more educated about you car than their average customer and you might not be so easy to rip off.
Then discuss with him the 30k service, repairs and such.

The problem is that when you talk to a service writer or parts person, its their job to make as much money as possible for the dealer.....thats it! They quote you a high price, take it or leave it.

The service manager on the other hand has a much broarder range of priorities which also include keeping a customer happy.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
When I had my 30K service done I had them go through the list with me and I told them what not to do they didn't charge me for those items but I still got the free rental car :gap: Oh and watch them closely they changed my tranny fluid and put in auto transmission fluid instead of Manual. Although there isn't much difference I still would rather them use the correct stuff in my car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts