NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys what's the stickiest street tire for auto-cross? i want to stay in sts for now since, i can't yet afford wheels and auto-x stickies just for auto-x which would move me to str.

any opinions on your great street tires?

thanx
Karim

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
How much do you want to spend per tire.

Right now, the talk is about teh Falken Azein. Kuhmo will also have a new "STS" spec tire in the spring (if it is on time).

Otherwise, the Kuhmo Escta 712 is cheap, but not the fastest. The Bridgesonte S03 and S02 are popular with folks that have the money.

The yokohama AVS-i is a good affordable choice, and the the Yokohama A520 is also popular.

Scott

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's interesting that you mention the second set of wheels for the "street" tires. Both of the local STS drivers who use them do so only at the track. Just like the rest of us they are changing wheels and tires every event. I think that there will be a lot of re-evaluation of tires like that in the year or so to come as they sure seem to be pushing the limits of tread-wear. Even though that is an arbitrary rating, saying that the Falken's have a 200 tread-wear is pushing it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i can spend around 140 per tire without mounting or balancing, also what's a good tire size for 16's on stock height?

sadly enough i'll only have enough cash for a set of rims and new tires for my car and that's after selling my stockers so that's why i need something that'll also be good on and street for daily commute to school and such and will be mega sticky when i run on them at an autocross, later when i get more into auto-x and get some more cahs i'll get some rims and tires for just that but not yet. I just can't afford a set wheels and auto-x tires yet. So like I said I need a tire i can use for both to put on the new rims i'm getting.

anyone heard anything good about bf goodrich? or michilan? that's what the guy at the tire sotre said would be good but i think you opinions would be better.

thanx guy i really appricate the info
Karim

<FONT COLOR="#0000ff" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Karim on November 05, 2001 at 07:37 PM</font>

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Personally, I would run a 205/50-16 Kuhmo Escta 712.

For what you pay for them, you can burn thorugh 2 sets for the price of one set of Michelins.

The Kuhmo gives up some grip to the other tires, but think about what you have going here. A daily driver, and one set of tires.

What happens if you lock them up? Can you afford to replace 2 or 4 tires due to flat spots (remember this is your daily driver). Can you afford to die in a rain storm when the tread wears out after 3 autocross events?

The Kuhmos will last a lot onlger and be safe on the street longer.

Scott

·
Registered
124 Posts
I agree that the Ecsta 712's would be a very good choice. They will last many miles, even with autocrossing. Check prices online at the major tire places like tires.com (was Discount Tire), tirerack.com, etc.

AVS Intermediates were good, but not great, and sidewalls were a bit soft I thought. FYI, STS allows only tires with a treadwear rating of 140 or higher.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts