NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing a search on info with the wheel bearing. I recently took my car to a shop to be repaired for a grinding/clicking noise from the driver side front. They assumed it was the cv joint and replaced it without diagnosis, gave me the car back yesterday after shelling out $610 and it still makes the same noise.

I had the mechanic road test it today from their shop and he can't pinpoint what it is without taking everything apart. I took it to the dealer for a second opinion. They first thought it was the braking system and the rotor was rubbing against something dealing with the ABS, however after further inspection they aren't exactly sure what it is as they weren't charging me to look at the car and didn't have time to take apart the entire thing. They are giving an educated guess that it is the wheel bearing.

However reading other peoples description of the wheel bearing noise, i'm not sure it matches the sound I am hearing. Mine sounds like if you took 2 rocks and rubbed them together and made a grinding noise or two rough pieces of metal, accompanied at times by a sort of chirp/click noise. Its too faint to hear at higher speeds, but i can definantly hear it when I am slowing (braking or not) and definantly when turning.

I am driving 2600 miles next month, toyota told me it is nothing that will damage something and that i can drive it without immediate repair.

Any advice, info, or help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
after all this trouble.. the verdict. 2 cracked spokes on my rim :rolleyes:

·
Registered
217 Posts
$610 to replace CV? Ouch.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Steve7thGenGT
$610 to replace CV? Ouch.
yeah, there's no rebuild kit as far as the shop could find.. otherwise it would have costed $330, they ordered the part from the dealer which upped te price because the dealer charged $413 for the part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts