NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried paint similar to this:
http://www.eastwoodcompany.com/aspf...D=2003033017301618&T1=10001+Z&I3.x=33&I3.y=73

Rally Wheel Paint Silver 12oz Aerosol

Item No. - 10001 Z
This Silver Argent Paint has the correct tone, sheen and appearance of many original wheels. Rally Wheel Silver is appropriate for styled steel wheels, especially Muscle-Era cars. High solids content; one can covers two to four wheels, depending on the application. Acrylic Lacquer formulation. 12 oz. net wt. Buy 3 or more and SAVE!

Regular Price: $8.99 Buy 3 or more Pay Only: $ 8.49 ea.
My stock GT-S rims are starting to look nasty with chips, stains, and the ever popular curb scrapes. I wanna get them repowdercoated this summer, but in the meantime, I was wondering if stuff like this would hold up till then.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Where do you go to get your rims powdercoated and how much? I am in Philly but am willing to drive to a place that does good work and is pretty reasonable. I was also looking at stuff like that, but never found any testimonials that werent directly on a product site.

·
O.G. Original Gluesniffer
8,944 Posts
You can use pretty much any spray paint on your rims, as long as you prep them properly first. They need to be sanded then primed (usually), then several coats need to be applied with wet sanding between coats. Also finish it off with clear coat. I painted my old Enkeis on my Civic (black) and the paint lasted almost 2 years and people thought I had them powdercoated.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Mistrimeat said:
You can use pretty much any spray paint on your rims, as long as you prep them properly first. They need to be sanded then primed (usually), then several coats need to be applied with wet sanding between coats. Also finish it off with clear coat. I painted my old Enkeis on my Civic (black) and the paint lasted almost 2 years and people thought I had them powdercoated.
what about painting stock GT rims in Gunmetal?? do you think that would that look good or bad??

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hell, if this paint lasts as long as the stuff you used, Mistrimeat, then there's really no need to get them repowdercoated. Unless of course they come out looking crappy, but I'm pretty good at painting stuff. :) BTW, how much sanding is required? Just to roughen up the surface, or do I need to get rid of the original powdercoat?

·
O.G. Original Gluesniffer
8,944 Posts
Blue Bomber said:
Hell, if this paint lasts as long as the stuff you used, Mistrimeat, then there's really no need to get them repowdercoated. Unless of course they come out looking crappy, but I'm pretty good at painting stuff. :) BTW, how much sanding is required? Just to roughen up the surface, or do I need to get rid of the original powdercoat?
I started off with 320 grit and that pretty much took off a layer of the existing paint. But I waxed my rims a few times, so I was worried about the wax messing up the new paint, so I wanted to take the extra precaution. After the 320 I went up to 600, then started laying on the paint. I wetsand with 1500 between coats and go to 2000 for the final wetsand. It looks like it was prifessionally painted, even though it was just a $4.00 can of spray paint.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, sounds good. I'm gonna wait till I get my new tires on before I do this (so the installers don't scrape the paint :eek: ). I might even experiment with some gunmetal paint. ;)

·
Registered
910 Posts
why not by some momo rims,the ones with color on the rims .those are nice....its better than repainting them.:gap:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts