NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching wheels for a bit and need to see if you guys can answer a few things for me. I have the 15" steelies on my car and want to go to either 16" or 17" wheels. Main question is, should I just get the 15" wheels or go bigger. I think the stock wheels are fine in either 15 or 16 but have considered 17's. The fact that I have an auto GT means I have to watch the weight of the wheels as well. What size wheels have advantages over others, ie 16 for speed 17 for handling and what should the max weight be? On top of all this, will I need to drop the car. I also need to know if the speedometer needs to be re-calibrated if I go with the bigger wheels. If so, how much???

Thanks

· Registered
53 Posts
same question as you

I also have a GT, and I was also trying to figure out what wheel size would be optimal for our cars. Right now I have been using the stock 15's with Ecstas on the front and pirelli p6000 sports on the back. Handling is awsome with just this combination alone and a strut brace.
I also recently purchased sways, and after installing the rear one, I reached what would be the optimal handling of the stock 15, however once I put the front sway in the vehicle would understeer and the tires couldn't compensate for the handling required for the overall stiffness. For another 400 bux I got kyb struts and eibach springs lowering the car a bit. This makes up, but not enough. Now I know I need a thicker rear sway bar for more oversteer, but I'm debating a lightweight 16" or a lightweight 17" also because i'm pretty sure that the 15"s wouldn't hold up as well under harder cornering. The extra wideness alone of a 16" would help substantially, and it would also keep the car 3-7 pounds lighter at each wheel than a 17" for great speed (Plus a lot of 16" rims are lighter than the stock wheels).
I have no experience with aftermarket wheels though, so I don't know how great the interia required would be for rotating the 17 would be versus the 16. I think for drag prupses I'd go with a 15" but I like to drive curves, so I'm definetely going to go with at least 1" larger and 0.5-1" wider wheel. I really would like to know if a 17" would be THAT much beter for handling though due to it's profile. Can anyone vouch for this?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.