NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
6k, 6.1k, 6.LIIFFFTTTT!!!
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I honestly think it might just be time to move on… So after JUST replacing my clutch and flywheel I started having brake issues yesterday. The brake pressure is really low when I apply the brakes and my passenger front pad seems to be rubbing the rotor at all times. In addition to that… the EVAP leak I THOUGHT I had fixed a month or so ago had come back with a vengeance and threw a CEL again. Need my emissions tested so the EVAP needs to be fixed prior or it won’t pass just because the stupid CEL. Anyways, let’s just get to the point here. I am pretty much fed up at this point so I started looking around yesterday for something new and think I may have found what I am looking for. There are two cars that I am primary looking at…

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
$10,999
Mileage – 104,370
Bone stock except aftermarket wheels
One owner car

The other…

2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
$12,250
Mileage – 103,950
Bone stock
One owner car

Both cars seem to be in really great condition and taken care of. I am going to look at them today after work to actually take a look and test drive them. Obviously the price on both can be brought down as well.

So the real question is, should I finally give up on the Celica and take an upgrade or ride it out fixing the current issues? If I do upgrade which year WRX? Virtually same specs, however ’02 is about 100lbs heavier and ’05 has upgraded styling. (not a huge fan of the bug headlights on the ’02, but I can live with em) So is the ’05 with almost same mileage and 3 years newer worth the extra cost?

·
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol

you think a WRX is gonna be more reliable than a Celica.
Never said anything about reliability... however with the cost I would put into mods to make my car even relatively quick I could put less or as much into a WRX and be pretty fvckin' fast. Honestly thought, kinda just bored with my car and want something new, the 4 door is a plus....

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
A WRX is pretty frickin fast?

heaven forbid you drive a V6 powered Camry then, it might rip your face off and warp the space-time continuum.

·
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A WRX is pretty frickin fast?

heaven forbid you drive a V6 powered Camry then, it might rip your face off and warp the space-time continuum.
:laugh: HAHAHAH!!! But seriously though, WRX do have a lot of potential. Those boxer engines respond well to mods. (I think we may have an anti-subie in our midst) :chuckles:

So Marc what would you suggest? 350Z? S2000? 3000GT? RX7?

·
Can't touch this.
3,629 Posts
Never said anything about reliability... however with the cost I would put into mods to make my car even relatively quick I could put less or as much into a WRX and be pretty fvckin' fast. Honestly thought, kinda just bored with my car and want something new, the 4 door is a plus....
You are complaining about reliability with the celica.

All ****ty but the s2000

Those boxer engines respond well to mods.
By changing out the F/I parts, yes. At the end, it is still a 4 cylinder which never respond well to mods besides F/I.

Car weighs is heavy as **** for what it is.

·
o-NO_oB-x
2,920 Posts
marc's suggestion? somewhere along the lines of a porsche :D

i'm really a fan of the 944 Turbo.

i sure wish i could afford a wrx to beat on and take to the dirt :marky: hawaii had this awesome dirt course event i went to. Great experience driving a wrx on a beginner dirt course.

·
Registered
322 Posts
i think you should fix the celi. the issues you explained doesn't sound like a deal breaker for me to move on to another car. im sure the subaru will have its own complications as well expecially with f/i. if you goal is f/i then yes i would agree the wrx is a better platform than the celica. i think it would cost less to fix the celi, considering the only problems are what you explained, than it would to buy another car.

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
Those WRX boxers respond well to mods? Are you on crack?

Maybe if you think 220 whp is responding well to mods. You need to swap the turbo to get anything out of them (assuming the trans doesn't blow up, which they're well known for doing) - and at the point of swapping turbo, injector, manifolds etc . . . you might as well boost something like a K20 and make some real power, or get an EVO.

My suggestion?

What are your needs, wants, and budget?

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
:laugh: HAHAHAH!!! But seriously though, WRX do have a lot of potential. Those boxer engines respond well to mods. (I think we may have an anti-subie in our midst) :chuckles:

Not Anti Subi, but it is true. If you like the car, then buy it. But the opinions remain and the reality is that he is right. A Suby is known to have Tranny issues with hard launches. Responds better than the Celica to mods definitely but the non STi WRX is strung out as it is.

You are complaining about reliability with the celica.

All ****ty but the s2000

By changing out the F/I parts, yes. At the end, it is still a 4 cylinder which never respond well to mods besides F/I.

Car weighs is heavy as **** for what it is.
The WRX is not that heavy at all and it IS FI.

Maybe if you think 220 whp is responding well to mods. You need to swap the turbo to get anything out of them (assuming the trans doesn't blow up, which they're well known for doing) - and at the point of swapping turbo, injector, manifolds etc . . . you might as well boost something like a K20 and make some real power, or get an EVO.

My suggestion?

Or STi but they have had tons of issues with their engines. Even stock.

·
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

My suggestion?

That is what I meant by responding to mods.. upgrading the F/I components. not just bolt-ons :chuckles:

Regarding your K20 comment. I def agree, I was actually contemplating that as well which is why I had suggested the S2000. There is an '03 local, with only 60k on the odo, one owner. Wanted to look into that as well considering is only $14k as well.

As far as my wants and budget... If I keep my Celica I plan on finishing the exhaust and being done with it, just daily driver due to the great MPG. Then just get another car to build up. However, if I sell it and move on to something else it will prob be a build/daily car for the first year and then get something else for daily use, so eventually be just a weekender. I want to actually put down some numbers. My budget... until after I purchase a house mid summer I would like to be as conservative as possible so $15-16k tops.

@NoRulez - I really don't want to get into an STI as I heard the suspension isn't very good for daily use... I love my Tein SSP but I want something more practical.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
15-16k

G35
350z ? :shrugs:

1 - 20 of 71 Posts