NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a 180 amp alternator for my celica to help run my system its going to have around 1000rms. Correct me if im wrong but if u run about 1000rms u need 180amps right?

But my question is where can i find an alternator already made for my car thats 180 amp? I looked at Irragi or whatever it is on ebay and i saw his alternator but there were no alternators for our year celica.

And i dont want to have one custom made by ohio generation (i think thats it) bc i dont want to have to deal with the troubles of getting one made.

Any help i would appericate so post away thanks

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea but will it fit my celica? I dont have that much knowledge bout upgrading an alternator so sorry. But i have to be able to find an alternator that will fit my celica and will run at 180 amps

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Unless you have the money, I'd wait till the system is in and see if you need an alt like that for only 1000rms. My bet is you won't.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
ace that what it was. they have one specific for the celica.

i have seen them cheaper then that though. i am looking at one now as charging up 2 optimas with close to 3krms

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
if you are still on a stock battery get a new battery 1st. i am an optima yellow top fan as i am running 2 and never had a problem. random people have had problems but most dont that i know of. issue is they are about 200 each. however with the gel battery, it wont leak, mount it any direction and can drain it down without an issue. I run my whole audio/lighting at shows for a while and no battery drain

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So instead of getting a cap or an alternator just get a optima red top and i should be fine? I wont have problems with my alternator will i or anything along those lines?

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
well red top is not a gel bat like a yellow top. red has higher cranking amps i believe as reds are normally used for high power engines. yellow tops are normally the staple for audio setups. you never said what you were going for, power or audio?

also caps are no good for audio atleast thats what most audio people say. i use one for my computer as inverters have a problem when volts drop down to low and the cap keeps it stable. also filters some of the interference

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
you should be fine with 1 optima yellow top no cap and no alternator. add a grounding kit to the engine bay just to make everything abit more efficient. down the road you can upgrade the alternator but its not needed.

my old setup i was running 1200w + a full car computer + 100 some odd leds randomly in the car + full led underlighting kit + 2 screens + 4 cold cathodes. all on 1 optima yellow top and stock alternator. i used a cap but only on the computer to keep voltage constant

now i am running all of that except about 3k watts 4 12's and more lighting. i did add a 2nd optima to the setup but that was mainly to assist in shows for extra points and to allow me to run the setup without the car being on (yellow tops can run a long time esp 2) however 2 yellow tops weighs allot so i wouldn't suggest it

a big thing to consider is also wiring. cheap smaller wire kits can limit power to the setup and cause problems. I am running 0 gauge between the batteries, 0 gauge to the dist block, then 4 gauge to each amp. also all grounds are 0 or 4 gauge.

for good price yet very high quality wire: http://www.knukonceptz.com/ . tell them Dan with the blue celica sent you

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya i was looking at all new wires bc my amp needs atleast 4 gauge and i have 5 gauge in my car now so im getting all new wires for sure..also where can i get this grounding kit your talking about

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
just get extra 4 gauge wire with ring terminals at the end. look under installs here (either electrical or engine) and it will show the proper grounding locations. and just connect the wires to those locations. or you can buy a universal kit on ebay or an uber expensive one from trial ;)

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
crap i forgot the numbers but i think thats what i have. either that or i have the 34 i dont recall. you may need to extend your ground and positive depending on which. search on here optima and you will find a ton of old threads which say the bat size

1 - 17 of 17 Posts