NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where i can find aftermarket valves, valve springs, retainers, etc. for my 02 GT.
I'm looking to upgrade them b/c to my knowledge the valves are the weak point on our cars.

·
Registered
374 Posts
You have to go custom. Although I hear Crower is working on some. And just to let you know the valves are not weak like everyone seems to believe.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if i have to go custom, what is the estimated cost, and if the valves aren't as weak as people think why do people keep bending/breaking them all the time?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For now i'm just adding nitrous, and turbo is later to come, i'm also going to upgrade the rods and pistons. I'm basically making the entire motor stronger so that it can handle alot more horsepower, and b/c i'm tired of bending my valves.

If you know anything diff. that i can do to keep my valves from bending so easily, please let me know.

·
Registered
174 Posts
First figure out why you need them. Are you wanting to go with some type of forced induction and need a valvetrain that can handle high heat, going all motor and want to rev high rpms, etc.? Dont just throw them on there and waste money because of a rumor you heard. Second of all, if youre bending valves, that means youre revving to high. Getting new valves is not the answer. Getting stiffer valve springs and lighter retainers is. Maybe even having the retainers nitride coated for less friction. This might add some weight(not much) but well worth the cost. But you also have to understand that aftermarket walvetrain upgrades arent as reliable as stock, you sacrafice long term reliabliity for short term high revs and FI. So make sure you know what and why youre doing something before you just slap it on, itll save you alot of time and money.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i rarely drop into a lower gear when i'm already running hard, and i hardly ever hit the rev limiter, so i don't know why i'm bending valves, all i know is my other friends bent their valves as well, so i'm not the on ly one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually we do all the maint. needed for cars, and as far as driving goes we're some of the best that go to the track,
so my point is YES there is something wrong with our cars and alot of other people's Celicas as well, considering i've talked to other people and they've had the same problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.