NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering which gasoline do you use for GT-S? regular, plus, or premium. The manual book say "Premium for GT-S". What happen if i use regular, will it affect something?

·
Registered
579 Posts
87 mobil, was using 89... when i switched down to 87 it actually feels like it's running better, and gas mileage increased a bit...

·
Registered
256 Posts
If you use less than premium gas for the gt-s you might have knocking problems because of improper combustion. I use 93 octane for my gt-s.

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
all depnds on what you have done to your car. In my M, I have an intake and exhaust, which normally wouldn't matter, but with the chip that I have in there, it has leaned out the mixture as much as possible. If I run anything less than 93, she knocks pretty bad...

·
Registered
40 Posts
93 for a GT seems a waste. My GT runs quite well on Shell 87. If it doesn't knock, more octane is a waste of money. All octane ratings do is define the ability to avoid knock at higher compression ratios. There is no scientific evidence that it adds power.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Well when I had my GTS it was always Chevron Premium. It is THE best. If I can't get that then shell or BP. If not them then Phillips 76. I avoid Citgo, Mobil and any others or generics like the plague.

Oh - Sunoco 94 is a nice fuel too, but damn hard to find most places.

GTS is 11.5:1 compression - 91or higher octane is a must. The car does not run as well on lower octane.

GT - 87-89 octane is ideal. The car is not tuned for high octane and hence will never advance timing far enough to make the premiuj worthwhile.

·
Registered
128 Posts
93 on my gt

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
ive been using 92 on my celica gt, is it bad to switch back and fourth from fuels with different octane ratings?

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
The timing will automatically retard to allow for lower octane gas. However, it will only go so far. If you hear pinging on acceleration, etc. move to the next higher grade.

Even the GT will benefit some from higher octane gas.

My baby gets nothin' but 92-94 octane and has for over 100,000 miles...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts