NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which is a better gear oil for the gts c60 trans?

amsoil manual transmission & transaxle gear lube 75w90

or

redline mt90 gear oil 75w90

·
Registered
287 Posts
They're both very good. You're going to get subjective opinions favoring each, but that's all they are. I don't know that there's really any authentic, objective evidence showing one to be any better than the other. I chose the Amsoil, but I can't say for sure that what you listed is actually the product I have..

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Redline MT90 and 75w90 suck. I've had them in my cars before, and it was horrible. Go for Redline Lightweight Shockproof. Best fluid I've ever used, and I've used a ton of different ones since '00.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
whats the part# on that Redline Lightweight Shockproof oil?

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
i mixed my gear oil, Redline MT90 and the lightweight shockproof and works great.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Definitely. I use it in my MR2, which even has a fluid pump, and it works fine. People have been using it as a replacement for GL-4 fluid in MR2s for over a decade with no issues, even though its supposed to clog pumps (Celicas don't have a pump).

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
interesting find. there usually a pump inside the tranny?

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
I searched google on this before I purchased new fluid and a large percentage liked the amsoil transaxle fluid over the redline mt-90.

I just got my amsoil the other day but haven't changed it yet.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
interesting find. there usually a pump inside the tranny?
Some have one, some don't. Guess it depends on the way the tranny is designed, and what application it's used in. Some pump oil onto the gears, others rely on the fluid splashing onto them. I think the MR2 may even have a tiny fluid cooler (there's a little external loop on the case). The issue with Lightweight Shockproof is that it forms a viscous film on metal. This is also why it's so effective. Since pumps tend to have a metal filter mesh, the filters grab onto little metal fragments. The fluid keeps a constant coating on these fragments, along with the filter, which can eventually cause them to clog. Some pump systems also use smaller passages than others, which can also lead to clogging. The MR2's system doesn't have an issue with this for some reason, and I'm grateful for it. :)

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Ive use syncromesh on both my 00 GTS's not problems smooth shifts and 8,500 rpms daily.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
so c60 tranny has no probelm w/Redline LightWeight ShockProof Gear Oil ?
I have an mr2 spyder w/c60 as well as matrix been using MT-90 for mast 40k miles w/no problem gotto change the tranny oil again I think its due.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Like I said, all sorts of opinions but that's all they are - just opinions. And just like Synthetic motor oils - no evidence that any one is definitively better than any other. And is usually the case about opinions, some are more or less qualified than are others.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Just put in the LWSP and the difference was ridiculous. I went to autozone afterwards to dump the old gear oil and the shifts were much more smooth than what I was running previous. (amsoil)

Thanks to Blue and I highly recommend going ALL LWSP oil

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well, I don't know why any of you didn't do what I just did, which was to call Redline and get their low-down on the tradeoff between their Lightweight Shockprook and their MT90 (but then why should I be surprised by guys who believe whatever they hear someone else saying, irrespective of whatever lack of expert qualifications that person has!!).
Bottom-line, the LWSP has friction modifiers (which for anyone who wants to try it, can be purchased separately and then added to their MT90) which, although making the shifts more smoothly, can lead to premature deterioration of the synchros. If you've never opened up a tranny and understand how the synchros actually work, you need to understand that in order for them to do their job as they were designed to do, they need a certain coefficient of friction in the tranny fluid. The lubricant can actually be too slippery, which is exactly what the friction modified does.
Secondly, the LWSP has some negatives re the MT90 when it's cold (which disappear as the fluid warms up to operating temperature).
So, with Redline's recommendation of their MT90 for our trannies, you can now make a somewhat better informed decision about what you run in your gearbox.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts