NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody i am newbie in newcelica.org..... i am driving the celica gt-s i wish to add on the piggy back ecu... but wonder how much the performance different in term of horse power on the ecu i choose currently in my list is

1 . apexi safc neo
2 . emanage (blue)
3 . apexi power fc

for your information my ride engine still under stock condition with k&n filter and custom exhaust

thanks ....

·
Registered
419 Posts
the Power FC is a standalone, not a piggyback.

The PFC will allow you to lower the valve lift engagement point, which the other two cannot. The PFC will definitely net you more gains.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the Power FC is a standalone, not a piggyback.

The PFC will allow you to lower the valve lift engagement point, which the other two cannot. The PFC will definitely net you more gains.
ok... thanks for the reply then roughtly how much the horse power will gain from PFC and how early the valve lift engagement point can assignt??

·
O_o
7,222 Posts
A programmable engine management like the APEXi Power FC is not guaranteed bolt on power, it depends on your current mods and more importantly the ability of your tuner.

A bad tune can make you lose power, or worse damage your engine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Its simple really, stay away from the Apexi AFC, SAF-c, SAF-C NEO, and that kind of product.

I can tell you that you wont find many persons who can give you a lot of hardcore data on the results of these devices. I know for a fact that the ECU will override the SAFC in a few days, and it will be hard to tune it also becuse of the ECU 'fighting' to override the settings.

What works well is the EMANGE. its simply the easiest and cheapest route to go. the only thing that you will not be able to tune is the VVT. You can control air-fuel ratios, ignition timing etc and this will allow you to make a decent amount of power. If you wish i can give you the links for some work that we have done on the 2ZZ and the results.

Starting with a base line of below 160WHP, we did simple intake and exhaust mods and combinded those with the emanage tune and got 180WHP and 128FT LBS of torque. That was without touching the variable valve timing, so you know if we added a camcon or other VVT tuning device (like the VMANAGE) we could see a higher peak horsepower, while straightening out the power delivery curve some more.

·
Registered
36 Posts
as a point of note...if you really allow the exhaust to breath freely, then you wont need a LIGHTER FLYWHEEL! The car will rev up so fast that you wont believe it. I would say invest in a upgraded clutch and Pressure plate, and then make sure you are running a good exhaust at 2.5 inches and combine that with a 2.75" or 3" cold air intake and a good filter. then get the IK01-20 DENSO IRIDIUM RACING plugs. install your EMAnage, connect up the wideband AF gauge, and take to the streets for a tuning session, then once your tuner has done that, book about 45-60 minutes of dyno time and fine-tune your street work. once you are done that you will be very satisfied with the results.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Its simple really, stay away from the Apexi AFC, SAF-c, SAF-C NEO, and that kind of product.

I can tell you that you wont find many persons who can give you a lot of hardcore data on the results of these devices. I know for a fact that the ECU will override the SAFC in a few days, and it will be hard to tune it also becuse of the ECU 'fighting' to override the settings.
I have question about that..
When I bought my Celica I had problem with MAF sensor. At first i didnt know what it is, but the "engine light" was turn on.. The diagnostic report problem P0171 (Fuel System Too Lean) The result of that was lack of horsepower, but lower fuel consumption also!! I am talking about 1,5-2l / 100km.
ECU was not able to override the bad data from MAF, only way how to fix it was cleaning the MAF sensor..

After, i get idea about install somethig which is able to modify signal from MAF (later I found apexi safc), because of creating some mods to be able switching between lean/normal/ maybe more rich fuel mixture......so if the ECU was not able to "override" modified signal from messy MAF, how is it possible that it can override the SAFC...?

Sorry my english.....

·
The Original 1zz Fanboy
3,774 Posts
I have question about that..
When I bought my Celica I had problem with MAF sensor. At first i didnt know what it is, but the "engine light" was turn on.. The diagnostic report problem P0171 (Fuel System Too Lean) The result of that was lack of horsepower, but lower fuel consumption also!! I am talking about 1,5-2l / 100km.
ECU was not able to override the bad data from MAF, only way how to fix it was cleaning the MAF sensor..

After, i get idea about install somethig which is able to modify signal from MAF (later I found apexi safc), because of creating some mods to be able switching between lean/normal/ maybe more rich fuel mixture......so if the ECU was not able to "override" modified signal from messy MAF, how is it possible that it can override the SAFC...?

Sorry my english.....
Because the SAFC isn't changing what is read from the MAF sensor. If you do have an SAFC or if you don't the MAF sensor is going to read the same. What you are changing is how the car reacts to those MAF readings. The problem with the SAFC is that it simply does not work on our cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
good day to you. Looks like you are the person I need to talk to. I have a 2000 celica gts. I turboed it and now am looking for a tuner and or piggy back for it. I saw that you recommended a new flywheel and pressure plate which I am also looking for. Is there anything else I need to do so I don’t blow up my engine and if you can please put the links down where I can find your work. Thank you in advance. From a celica newbie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts