NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now own BFG KDW II. They are good but not as good as I was hoping. They r better for str8 line than my previous toyo t1-s imo. In curves, I need to increase the tire pressure significantly to get good cornering with the KDW 2. Which seems to indicate the sides are not strong enought. My old T1-S were pretty good at this under resonable tire pressure. Also, the balance of my car went from oversteer to understeer with the new KDW II tires ...

One of the next candidate might be the newer toyo t1-R but I am not sure of this. I am thinking nothing will beat a softer compound, no matter what technologie. So, I am now willing to go with softer compound, greater than 150-160 please tho! Nothing like a race compound.

I was interested by the BFG KD but they r not made in that size. Possibly the bridegestone pole position s-03? Would they be better?

Let me know your opinions ...

·
Banned
350 Posts
danGTS said:
I now own BFG KDW II. They are good but not as good as I was hoping. They r better for str8 line than my previous toyo t1-s imo. In curves, I need to increase the tire pressure significantly to get good cornering with the KDW 2. Which seems to indicate the sides are not strong enought. My old T1-S were pretty good at this under resonable tire pressure. Also, the balance of my car went from oversteer to understeer with the new KDW II tires ...

One of the next candidate might be the newer toyo t1-R but I am not sure of this. I am thinking nothing will beat a softer compound, no matter what technologie. So, I am now willing to go with softer compound, greater than 150-160 please tho! Nothing like a race compound.

I was interested by the BFG KD but they r not made in that size. Possibly the bridegestone pole position s-03? Would they be better?

Let me know your opinions ...
P-O-T-E-N-Z-A

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ZenoGenProducts said:
P-O-T-E-N-Z-A
Which one? I think s-03 r the only one made in 205-50R16

BTW, I obviously need dry grip and wet is way less important ...

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I would go with a slightly wider tire. I have 225/45/16 on 16x7's, but they should still fit fine on the stock 16x6.5 wheel. The overall height of the tire is almost identical, but is a good amount wider. I have the KDW2's and havent had an issue with them, but then again I have a LOT of suspension work with an agressive street alignment done. I dont think the sidewalls are all that soft, I install tires at my dads shop occasionally and the sidewalls of the KDW2's are softer than the S-03 and stiffer than the T1-S, T1-R, and Eagle F1 GS-D3.

As for the 205/50/16 size the S-03 is really nice, the sidewalls are some of the stiffest you can get for a street tire period. You will have a stupid stiff ride. It is also overpriced IMO. Another good tire is the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. It has a softer sidewall than the KDW2's but is comparable to the T1-S/R.

I am not one to tell someone how their car feels, but I dont think the handling issues are associated with sidewall stiffness. I think it has to do with rubber compounds used.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
DYI01 said:
I would go with a slightly wider tire. I have 225/45/16 on 16x7's, but they should still fit fine on the stock 16x6.5 wheel. The overall height of the tire is almost identical, but is a good amount wider. I have the KDW2's and havent had an issue with them, but then again I have a LOT of suspension work with an agressive street alignment done. I dont think the sidewalls are all that soft, I install tires at my dads shop occasionally and the sidewalls of the KDW2's are softer than the S-03 and stiffer than the T1-S, T1-R, and Eagle F1 GS-D3.

As for the 205/50/16 size the S-03 is really nice, the sidewalls are some of the stiffest you can get for a street tire period. You will have a stupid stiff ride. It is also overpriced IMO. Another good tire is the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. It has a softer sidewall than the KDW2's but is comparable to the T1-S/R.

I am not one to tell someone how their car feels, but I dont think the handling issues are associated with sidewall stiffness. I think it has to do with rubber compounds used.
Ya wide tires might help but I don't think I would put 225 on a 6.5 inches rim. If I upgrade the rims, than maybe ..

As for the sidewall stifness, rubber compound thing ... I would say both have an effect on handling. As well as the thickness of the tire like you said. And probably several other factors ... But I have to agree that if the compound is bad, than nothing will be achieved with the tires!!

Thats strange that you say they are stiffer than T1-S. I really feel they are way too soft when I run them at 34 psi (front) like I used to run my T1-S.

Having the same tires and different suspension setup (I do want tein ssp sooo bad :)), how is the balance of your car? Is it pretty neutral, oversteer or understeer? I know that your allignment setup would impact this though!

The car handles not bad with my current setup but I know it is capable of much more. IMO, the tires are my bottelneck right now. I might be wrong tho!

Thanx!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
danGTS said:
Ya wide tires might help but I don't think I would put 225 on a 6.5 inches rim. If I upgrade the rims, than maybe ..
I have 225/50/16 on 6.5 stock rims for 1 year already and they fit ok. But there are another problem. On such wide tires you will be loosing traction, especially on start. They're quite heavy as well (I have Potenza G-III) I'm planning to go back to stock 205/50 or something like that soon. However, they're good for RWD cars.

·
Registered
459 Posts
try tirerack.com search by size. bridgestone, michelin, dunlop all have high performance summer tires. i think the dunlops are on sale...

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
zima said:
I have 225/50/16 on 6.5 stock rims for 1 year already and they fit ok. But there are another problem. On such wide tires you will be loosing traction, especially on start) ...I'm planning to go back to stock 205/50 or something like that soon....
I'm thinking shortening the sidewall will help overcome the lack of sidewall stiffness. 205-45-16

dB

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
deltaB said:
I'm thinking shortening the sidewall will help overcome the lack of sidewall stiffness. 205-45-16

dB
Those r probably very good for a track tire! But just will look small wih our cars ...

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I obviously don't care about the small tire look. I use 195-50-15s for everyday on the celica. I did just get a set of hankook Rs2 Z212s for the MR2, but they're not on the car yet. But I doubt they will be as good as the goodriches. I've always liked goodriches for the relatively stiff sidewall and quick response. I don't know what will be better than the kd/kdw. OTOH the hankooks are available in 205-50-16 but only have a single ply sidewall.

dB

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd which the KD would be available in stock size actually! That tire broke records at tire rack!

KDW II aren't bad. I hope they will still keep up with the suspension mods I am planning .. I especially want a pretty well balanced car at the limit. If I can get slight oversteer at the very limit w/ a street setup, that would be awesome! Anyways, I have a couple of things to try to shift some of the car "weight" to the rear wheels while make it handle better ..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts