NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Backfires section of the new issue with the Dodge Charger on the cover, this guy wrote:

-------------------

I sure hope buyers of the Lotus Elise do their homework on the failure rate of the Toyota Celica GT-S drivetrain when put to the test. I owned a 2000 Celica GT-S six-speed for about three years and 65,000 miles. In that time, I went through four motors and two transmissions. Was I hard on the car? You bet. Although I never raced it competitively, I regularly took it to open track events. Two of the motors simply let go under stress at high rpm. One motor blew when I ham-fisted the tranny into second rather than fourth while redlined in third (sounds really amateurish, but it happened to that model all the time). The other engine blew when the guys rebuilding the head forgot to put all the retaining clips on the valves before they fired it up.

I have to say I'd be hesitant to push the motor into the rev range where it makes real power (between 6250 and redline at 8200). I can still hear the shrill clatter of valves in my $23,000 GT-S being tacoed by the pistons. I'd be terrified to hear that same sound from the $40,000 Elise.

Chris Rikli
Lincoln, Nebraska

------------------------

So, that's 4 engines and 2 trannies?

Let's count.

1 engine he admits he blew. Probably f-d up the tranny too.

1 was because of dumb techs.

Now, if the guy misshifted once, maybe's he too dumb and too embarrassed to admit in a national magazine that he did more than once. Toyota probably kept covering him under warranty (he said he had a 2000 and Toyota was good about covering blown engines when it wasn't their fault).

That engine is good enough to be in the soon-departed Celi, still-going Vibe and Matrix and now the Elise. It's a world-wide drivetrain. It's not the piece of junk this dip describes.

Maybe it's me, but I think the guy abused his car mainly because he wasn't compitent to drive it. Hamfisted is about the only thing he got right in the letter.

Mike

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
thats funny cuz i dont see that toyota is at fault in the least... he mis-shifted and it wasnt built back up properly even though toyota usually replaces, not rebuilds motors that blow under warranty... sounds like a smacked ass loser that can't drive... if he trolls around here on the boards, I hope he reads my comment... :fawk:

Steve

·
Registered
572 Posts
obviously that guy didn't actually read through the C&D article test of the Elise.
"There have been durability concerns with this engine, particularly in sustained high-rpm operation. although some suggest the problem is insufficient oil pressure, the Lotus engineers believe oil temperature is the culprit and added an engine-oil cooler. according to Lotus, there have been no problems with the engine in the Elise."

considering he was at the track and was obviously constantly flooring it past redline in every gear, something is gonna happen to the drivetrain. i believe they call that common sense, unless of course u buy a 23,000 car. then it lasts forever ;)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I wonder if it was someone who used to be on this board?

If he posted about four blown engines, I'm sure it would come up with some intuitive searches.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Misshifitng can not be blamed on the cars close gearing. You want a "sports" car to have close gears. Now if you cant operate it correctly. Thats driver error.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by branizzle

considering he was at the track and was obviously constantly flooring it past redline in every gear, something is gonna happen to the drivetrain. i believe they call that common sense, unless of course u buy a 23,000 car. then it lasts forever ;)
and not even. I drive my car ridiculously hard. Havent had any problems.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
branizzle said:
"There have been durability concerns with this engine, particularly in sustained high-rpm operation. although some suggest the problem is insufficient oil pressure, the Lotus engineers believe oil temperature is the culprit and added an engine-oil cooler. According to Lotus, there have been no problems with the engine in the Elise."
If oil temp is the culprit and not pressure, why would Toyota use Accusumps in all their Pro-Celeb cars and not have oil coolers :confused:

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Originally posted by David Draper
If oil temp is the culprit and not pressure, why would Toyota use Accusumps in all their Pro-Celeb cars and not have oil coolers :confused:
I've been trying to figure this out.

I dont know what to get....a cooler or a sump?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The people that have been road racing Celicas (SCCA Showroom Stock) have had a pretty high failure rate for engines. That's why most aren't running them anymore, too expensive relative to teh class leading Miatas.

Scott

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
I wouldn't buy an Elise based on the engine and transmission used in it. $40k is way too much to spend on a car that I know will have problems.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by autxr
The people that have been road racing Celicas (SCCA Showroom Stock) have had a pretty high failure rate for engines. That's why most aren't running them anymore, too expensive relative to teh class leading Miatas.

Scott
Originally posted by WillyK
I wouldn't buy an Elise based on the engine and transmission used in it. $40k is way too much to spend on a car that I know will have problems.
both good points.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I still don't know why Lotus didn't try to licesense the K20C and Type S transmission from Acura. Stronger bottom end, more power and torque, higher quality, better (much) shift feel, better breathing, better gearing, far easier to mod (and much better selection of mods at that), the list goes on... How much more could the K20C possibly weight than the 2ZZ-GE? Not enough in my opinion to make up for the all the goodness Lotus is missing out on.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by Planet X
I still don't know why Lotus didn't try to licesense the K20C and Type S transmission from Acura. Stronger bottom end, more power and torque, higher quality, better (much) shift feel, better breathing, better gearing, far easier to mod (and much better selection of mods at that), the list goes on... How much more could the K20C possibly weight than the 2ZZ-GE? Not enough in my opinion to make up for the all the goodness Lotus is missing out on.
I agree with all except maybe gearing.

But thats hardly a reason not to use it.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts