NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know what this sound is. It's hard to explain but it's like a slightly-high-pitched whirring sound which I hear when I slow down. You can hear it over the top of the engine sound. It seems to appear when slowing down from eg. 4000 to 2000 rpm, regardless of the actual speed. So my guess is it is either some part of the engine (alternator, belt, etc) or the transmission.

When I accelerate I also hear a whirring up sound. Does anybody know what I am talking about, and is it normal or does it mean something is about to give? The noise has been there since I bought the car used (4 months ago).

Also, the air condition seems to make a slushing sound (think of someone whirling some water around in a bucket) every 30 seconds. Then it sounds normal for 30 seconds, and then I hear the slushing sound again for a few seconds. I can also feel the brake pedal move (moves down a bit and then back up) when this noise appears. Feels like the aircon is taking away some power from the engine brake assist. Again, is this normal?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually that is a good way to describe it, but that's not it. It sounds just like a cheap amp that has a poor power supply (bad alternator, capicators) and makes a whirring noise based on the alternators speed. That is exactly what it sounds like, but I'm very sure its an engine noise cause when I turn the radio off I can still hear it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Chazza said:
Does anybody know what this sound is. It's hard to explain but it's like a slightly-high-pitched whirring sound which I hear when I slow down. You can hear it over the top of the engine sound. It seems to appear when slowing down from eg. 4000 to 2000 rpm, regardless of the actual speed. So my guess is it is either some part of the engine (alternator, belt, etc) or the transmission.

When I accelerate I also hear a whirring up sound. Does anybody know what I am talking about, and is it normal or does it mean something is about to give? The noise has been there since I bought the car used (4 months ago).

Also, the air condition seems to make a slushing sound (think of someone whirling some water around in a bucket) every 30 seconds. Then it sounds normal for 30 seconds, and then I hear the slushing sound again for a few seconds. I can also feel the brake pedal move (moves down a bit and then back up) when this noise appears. Feels like the aircon is taking away some power from the engine brake assist. Again, is this normal?
I'm sure it's a bad bearing from your tranny. With time, the noise will become louder when deccelerating in 1st and 2nd gear.

Give it a test by driving along side a building wall. Like in an alley. Drive in 1st gear slowly and let go of the gas. If you hear the "whirring" noise, then you definitly have a bad tranny bearing.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Re: Whirring noise when slowing down

cybrpunk said:
I'm sure it's a bad bearing from your tranny. With time, the noise will become louder when deccelerating in 1st and 2nd gear.

Give it a test by driving along side a building wall. Like in an alley. Drive in 1st gear slowly and let go of the gas. If you hear the "whirring" noise, then you definitly have a bad tranny bearing.
How does one get a bad tranny bearing? What causes it?

Also I don't think you could hear it from outside the car. I can hear it only when the windows are closed and radio is off. (But then again, no one else ever drives my car so I don't know if it can be heard from the outside.)

·
Registered
60 Posts
CHECK YOUR GEAR OIL!!!!

CHECK your TRANNY's GEAR Oil... I work in pepsi and one of our service trucks started to make a winding noise.. so we checked the gear oil and it was about almost empty!!!... we put more gear oil... then the winding sound stoped...If it sounds like going in reverse "winding sound" then it's definitly Low Gear oil.....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: CHECK YOUR GEAR OIL!!!!

hyperboost said:
CHECK your TRANNY's GEAR Oil... I work in pepsi and one of our service trucks started to make a winding noise.. so we checked the gear oil and it was about almost empty!!!... we put more gear oil... then the winding sound stoped...If it sounds like going in reverse "winding sound" then it's definitly Low Gear oil.....
Thanks, I'll check it. My car is always street parked so I'm lazy when it comes to checking fluids (since its embarassing to go out on the street and pop the hood in front of all your neighbours; my streets are dense with houses).

I really wish it was something simple as that...add more fluid. Does the automatic transmission fluid need replacing after a few years anyway?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Originally posted by Chazza
Does the automatic transmission fluid need replacing after a few years anyway?
Yep, sure does. Manual needs to be replaced to. Not sure on the time/milage but you can check your manual for that one.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm pretty sure it says "replace when necessary" or something like that. It doesn't give a time or KM guide.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ugly Pete said:
you are suposed to get the auto tranny fluid replaced at 30k and flushed at 60k... so the service guide states.
In the Australian service book, changing the transmission fluid is not part of any particular service. It only ever says inspect and replace as necessary. Usually things like oil, brake fluid, etc will say Replace at x, y, z intervals, but not the tranny fluid.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have this too. I noticed the noise goes away as soon as I press the clutch.

I had Toyota look into the problem and they replaced my heat shield. That didn't help, and I'd really like to get to the bottom of this.

Anyone successfully fixed this? How?

·
Registered
319 Posts
i could be wrong, and very possibly am, but i believe it is just the gears spinning freely in the transmission and is completely normal.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Chazza said:
Looks like I'm not the only who is getting this noise:

http://newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36909

Anyone know of the solution to this whirring/whinning sound? Mines an auto...
Dude you are not alone. This is a common problem with the Celicas and it is nothing to worry about. Mine was making this sound the day I drove it off the lot and has been every since and nothing wrong to date. You will get used to it soon enough and not even notice it. I would like to know what it is exactly though. However, to date nobody has been able to answer that for me. All I know is that there are a lot of people that have mentioned this in the Celica community. The problem also seems to exist more between the autos rather than the manual tranny cars.

Justin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts