NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 2000 GT. I use to have a S2000 antenna but since changed back to the stock one.

A few months ago I had a Sony head unit installed by an audio shop. Simple install, no speakers, no amp, nothing. Just swapped the head unit for the Sony.

I can check the model number but it's one of the ones with an active black panel. 50x4 I believe.

Anyway, everything was great til about 2 months ago. Now when I listen to it, the quality seems to fade in and out (like if you were to suddenly drive between two mountains and get bad reception). The volume from each speaker also rises and drops randonmly. It sounds very muffled - again like it's getting bad reception.

I never did or touched the antenna in any way. I also reset all the equalizer and effects to centered, default, etc. I am not running any fancy EQ's nor do I have it in mono or anything.

The power has been disconnected at least a few times, I'm sure. Once in a while when my car comes back from a tuneup or various jobs, I see the clock reset. I only mention this for detailed sake, I don't think it has anything to do with the sound degradation.

The CD doesn't sound up to par as well. I get alot more skips and scratches than I use to. Anybody have any clue? I don't get to go home often so a trip to the shop that installed it is nearly out of the question. I could take it to a local place but I wouldn't know what to tell them. I don't want to sound like an idiot telling them my stereo doesn't sound "right". And I wouldn't know what a reasonable price to pay to repair it would be?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Well, it's been proven that your factory head-unit will always get the best radio reception with your factory antenna system.

As for the skips, it's a Sony. I've seen lots of problems with bad Sony's. Take it back, and tell them you've got problems. Have them fix it, or trade it for a different brand.

Curt

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, those are the solutions? I bought a Sony, or it's just a bad head unit? I can't bring it back since I bought the unit 2 years ago and installed it only recently. Anybody have any other ideas? Could a wire have come loose? Anything besides "buy a new head unit"?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Well then check and see if any connections are loose. Why do you need us to tell you to do that? That should have been your first troubleshooting step.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
what do you want us to say. if its broke, get a new one. don't waste your money trying to get a 2yr old sony fixed, it wouldn't be worth it.

i had a sony back in the day with a similar issue. i noticed the volume would sometimes change... then i noticed when i would adjust the volume it would sometimes not go right. then it progressed until it was obvious the volume knob was messed up.

basically if you don't have a warranty on it, just get a new one. most warranties just replace them anyway. nobody fixes headunits really.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
J3adSeed said:
what do you want us to say. if its broke, get a new one. don't waste your money trying to get a 2yr old sony fixed, it wouldn't be worth it.

i had a sony back in the day with a similar issue. i noticed the volume would sometimes change... then i noticed when i would adjust the volume it would sometimes not go right. then it progressed until it was obvious the volume knob was messed up.

basically if you don't have a warranty on it, just get a new one. most warranties just replace them anyway. nobody fixes headunits really.
:werd:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yup...I bought a Sony deck about 4 or 5 years ago and within a year ran into the same volume problem. I'll never buy another Sony car audio product...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.