NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason why TRD never let 2ZZ-GE cams reach the production line. They tested and the best they could get out from it is about 10 to 12hp. And the cost just doesn't justify the gains.

I visited TRD TAMA in TOKYO August this year. Spoke to Sakurai-san (TAMA branch manager). That's what he told me. Also there will be no more product for our celica. The last product is the carbon fibre GT wing.

Also he cautioned me that the vvt-i function will be affected and fuel economy will not be as good (expected). He added that the stock cams is performing at the peak with a well balance of power and fuel consumption.

I am not against the regrind cams, but bear in mind that end result may not be what you want it to be.

Unless i have cash and do not know where else to spent, I will go for the regrind route.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Considering TRD header and Pistons only give you a couple of HP... and cost $850... I can't understand why the cams does not justify the gains?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I hate to say it, but this sounds like :bs: to me.

It's already been proven that valve timing is not set for peak performance, so the statement of it not making power or only 10hp with cams is totally false. We're getting that much, plus more, just by tuning it and the cam timing with the STOCK cams.

Besides, what about the people running stroker kits?

I think what you were trying to say was that TRD itself wasn't going to be making cams (actually private labeled ones). We already knew that, but I also find it highly likely that once cams DO come out, especially for the Elise, that TRD will pick them up for resale.

Why miss out on an easy sell?

Just my .02

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
nyoneway said:
Considering TRD header and Pistons only give you a couple of HP... and cost $850... I can't understand why the cams does not justify the gains?
X2. Really true since TRD parts are pretty expensive!!

It looks like BS.

10-12 HP from cams would be worth a lot of money to me .. since we dont have much after market.

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
I paid 750 for a header that gave me around 7-10hp. I will pay for cams for another 10 hp.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Stan said:
I'm not a fan of a big rush when the high cam kicks in. I want the same top end or more, plus a smoother transition going into lift. This would make the car faster but might not feel faster. Less of a penalty if you miss lift on an upshift, and less unsettling to a car as you accelerate out of a turn.

Read up on the Power FC. This is exactly what you are looking for.

Jon

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Originally posted by JohnnyWash1

Jon
:werd: thats exactly what went through my mind lol

outa curiousity anyone know the specs for the aftermarket cams for the RSX? like toda or something??

curious what they look like compared to our stock cams.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Originally posted by JohnnyWash1

Jon

I don't think he can use that with an Elise

·
Registered
827 Posts
I definitely would NOT get the cams. I remember getting some crower cams for my 99 Civic Si... Anyway, to get 12hp from them, I also had to get AEM adjustable cam gears, AND a fuel pressure regulator. I paid about $900+ for 12hp!!! That's ridiculous. Plus, it idled like crap...occassionally, it would die at a stop light... It was horrible. AND these were just mild street cams... 63401 cams, i believe. I'd rather get a Nitrous kit for the celica and put the $400 to something else, but that's just me i guess...

·
Registered
452 Posts
depending on where he lives in ct he can just try my pfc would be even easier, stan pm me if u ever wanna try that.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
if i remember correctly, i think the rsx-s picked up about 30hp with their cam set. they do have 3 lobes, but the engines are similiar enough, i would expect similiar results with a celica.

ask blue bomber for more details on those rsx-s cams

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
DnDs00GTS said:
I definitely would NOT get the cams. I remember getting some crower cams for my 99 Civic Si... Anyway, to get 12hp from them, I also had to get AEM adjustable cam gears, AND a fuel pressure regulator. I paid about $900+ for 12hp!!! That's ridiculous. Plus, it idled like crap...occassionally, it would die at a stop light... It was horrible. AND these were just mild street cams... 63401 cams, i believe. I'd rather get a Nitrous kit for the celica and put the $400 to something else, but that's just me i guess...

did you do anything with engine management?

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by vatik
ask blue bomber for more details on those rsx-s cams
Some pics and a dyno of the Toda JDM ITR cams on a USDM RSX-S:

Baseline included Injen air intake, Mugen exhaust and Toda header. Then the Toda Engine Kit (cams, valve springs, ECU) were added. Gotta love that low end torque gain. :drool:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts