NewCelica.org Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Un-Registered User
2,147 Posts
I saw one when I was 12 years old, it was love at first sight. I finally got one when I was 17.

·
Registered
44 Posts
should have gotten the e36 man
Each have their trade-offs. The e36 despite being a german luxury vehicle is still less safe than the focus/celica. Check out crash tests on ncap. It was a car designed in 1991-1992 vs 8 cars that were developed 8 years later.

I do heavy snow driving and even with my dedicated snows sometimes it gets sketchy. I wouldn't want to drive a peg-leg rwd car in the deep stuff even with snow tires.

Running costs such as bushings/tires+snow tires/fuel will be much more in the e36. I'm sure the e36 is much more rewarding to drive but I don't regret my decision. Most of my friends have e36 M3s which are starting to show their age and getting maintenance hungry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My story's pretty similar to bloodytiger's right above me. I loved the look of them ever since I was a kid. Then, last year, my parents and i started looking at used cars for my first car. After a couple weeks of searching, my dad and I scrolled by a used 02 celica GT on cars.com. I knew I had to get it.

I've had it for about 6 months now and I love it. Even the kids at my high school compliment me on it lol Now I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to upgrade it over the next couple of years/decades/my entire life because I don't think I ever want to give it up haha

(Woo for first post lol)

·
Registered
21,877 Posts
Because it was/is beautiful to me. Lightest car in it's class at the time. One of the quickest as well. Handled great, looked great, drove great, took all the severe abuse I put it through.

·
Registered
21,877 Posts
Each have their trade-offs. The e36 despite being a german luxury vehicle is still less safe than the focus/celica. Check out crash tests on ncap. It was a car designed in 1991-1992 vs 8 cars that were developed 8 years later.

I do heavy snow driving and even with my dedicated snows sometimes it gets sketchy. I wouldn't want to drive a peg-leg rwd car in the deep stuff even with snow tires.

Running costs such as bushings/tires+snow tires/fuel will be much more in the e36. I'm sure the e36 is much more rewarding to drive but I don't regret my decision. Most of my friends have e36 M3s which are starting to show their age and getting maintenance hungry.
Ironic part about your argument is I believe the 7th Gen fails many current crash requirements.

Also, the E36 M3 had an LSD

·
Remove Before Flight
46 Posts
Ever since I was an ittle bittle middle schooler, I loved the look of the Celica's. Blew up my Buick's intake/exhaust manifold, hydrolocked my Dodge Neon, and then I bought a Tempo. I bought my Ford Tempo for $400 off my uncle, and over a period of five months, my ac/heat/radio/climate control cluster fell apart, and I had to hand-crank the temperature one way or another. My cat basically exploded when I bottomed out going up a drive way. My exhaust pipes cracked and shattered and started hanging. My water pump went out about a week after, followed by my engine mount a week later. Then my tie rods collapsed on the passenger side, which when they broke, the rotor got damaged too. Then my starter took a poop in October, and when I replaced that, we blew a head gasket and started drinking antifreeze.

TL;DR: Buicks are nice, manifolds break easy, never take a Dodge through a 3-foot deep puddle, and 1990's Fords are the worst vehicles ever produced.

In December I called it quits, drove to Tiffin, OH, and bought my Celica from a Mercedes Benz dealership, that had her sitting on their lot for 5 or 6 months before sale. I bought my Celi so I would have something reliable, something that was a little (lot) better on gas, and because the Celi just fit me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Currently in high school(17), bought the car 4 months ago because I wanted to learn how to drive a manual car, wanted the reliability of a corolla but the sporty look which the celica offered, also the cheap insurance and great gas milage doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
21,877 Posts
cheap insurance?!?!?
Si. But Insurance is based on many factors. Car itself being one of the last.

I pay the same for liability on my 89 Civic because of it's theft rate, than I did on my GTS with FULL coverage.

Liability Civic - $70
Full Coverage GTS - $72

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Si. But Insurance is based on many factors. Car itself being one of the last.

I pay the same for liability on my 89 Civic because of it's theft rate, than I did on my GTS with FULL coverage.

Liability Civic - $70

Full Coverage GTS - $72

My full coverage gt, 17 year old male no accidents no points, is 350 a month... No way the other 17 year old has cheap insurance it's crazy

·
Registered
21,877 Posts
My full coverage gt, 17 year old male no accidents no points, is 350 a month... No way the other 17 year old has cheap insurance it's crazy
That is very normal for your age. When I was 17 my insurance for it was 390 but went down to 190 after 1 year.

·
Registered
21,877 Posts
Exactly, that's why it doesn't make since how he is 17 and has cheap insurance, I'm not saying it can't be cheap just not when you're 17
I lived in Philly and was on my own policy.

Same car, same year but suburbs my best friend at 17 paid 100 a month. As a listed driver on his dad's policy.

If you live in the right area with the right discounts and right carrier, the quote can fluctuate tremendously. Perfectly normal.

·
(..+
4,313 Posts
a big factor is individual policy vs leaching onto a parents policy. If you have parents with 2-3 vehicles. HOI etc. It makes it a lot easier. Ive always been on my own policy and ive hovered around $170 a month for the last 2 (i'm 24 now was about $220 a month from 18-21) but as others said, there are literally dozens of factors that go into insurance, type of coverage, location, age, so on. Good news is mine will drop significantly when i hit 25. Cant wait :headbang:

·
Registered
21,877 Posts
a big factor is individual policy vs leaching onto a parents policy. If you have parents with 2-3 vehicles. HOI etc. It makes it a lot easier. Ive always been on my own policy and ive hovered around $170 a month for the last 2 (i'm 24 now was about $220 a month from 18-21) but as others said, there are literally dozens of factors that go into insurance, type of coverage, location, age, so on. Good news is mine will drop significantly when i hit 25. Cant wait :headbang:
Doesn't drop THAT much lol. Having a female as a primary policy holder will drop the insurance SIGNIFICANTLY.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.