NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...im not sure if this is normal or not..but..say..im going 65mph on 6th gear..the rpm is at 3k or so. When i decied to go full throttle(without downshifting)...my rpm jumps up about 1.5-2k...then drops down about 1-.5k...all this while on full throttle. After this happens the rpms climb like normal. SOO..basiclly it jumps up then drops down a little..then climbs up normally. This also happens on other gears as well. Like i said..im not sure if its normal..cause i dont really full throttle it when i want to accel dramaticlly. Its not a low RPM thing cause i tried it around 5k and 6k.

· Registered
6,058 Posts
jway83 said:
sounds like something's slipping. too bad i'm not learned enuff to know what it is...
It's his clutch.

It slips at WOT because the worn friction plate can't handle the sudden influx of torque. It takes a second to grab, and when it does, your RPM's will settle back down.

Soon enough, it will get so bad that your clutch won't be able to even hold when you gradually take it up to high RPM's. Once you hit around 5-6k, the friction plate will just break loose completely and your RPM's will shoot all the way up. Just drive it very easily, and don't give it any more WOT, and try and keep it below 4k RPM or so.

If you don't overly abuse your car, and you are on your first clutch and anywhere between 60-80k miles, then your clutch will be changed, for that's the average life of our clutches (at least from what I gathered on the boards).

Look upwards of $800 for a new clutch and install at your typical dealership, but if you take it to a shop, it shouldn't cost you over $500.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.