NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got my car back, the thermostat was bad on it. It wasn't throwing a CEL for a while but yesterday it came up (for those who I'm sure would ask why I drive it when its thermo is bad, I have a 5 minute drive to/from work and I don't wanna leave my car under the trees at my house until I get my car cover in). Anyways, last week or the week before I ordered a JDM thermo but was just wondering if that is the cause of my CEL. Other than that, the car runs just fine

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Depending on which way the thermo is bad will give different CELs depending on wether the treasholds have been reached or not. If a thermo is stuck open, engine will not warm up enough and will stay in open loop, you will get a CEL for coolant temp insufficient, open loop. If thermo is stuck closed you will be running hotter than desired, will through a CEL for overheating if the upper treashold is reached.
I'm sure you know that 5 minut trips arent good for your engine though.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Can't he check it and see the reason for the ECU just to be sure and see what's making it trip? That's what I would do anyway...it should tell you how to test it in your manual...will give you a code you'll have to look up and will tell you exactly why the CEL is on... Sounds like that's the reason though...like previously stated...good luck!!

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GSBoek said:
Depending on which way the thermo is bad will give different CELs depending on wether the treasholds have been reached or not. If a thermo is stuck open, engine will not warm up enough and will stay in open loop, you will get a CEL for coolant temp insufficient, open loop. If thermo is stuck closed you will be running hotter than desired, will through a CEL for overheating if the upper treashold is reached.
On my way to work, it doesn't reach the overheating point. It's normally at normal operating temp. in longer trips than my 10 minute commute, it occasionally tops out but then goes back to norm. op. temp. Plus it's hot down here and it reaches the normal temp by the time I get to work :)
2swft4u said:
Can't he check it and see the reason for the ECU just to be sure and see what's making it trip? That's what I would do anyway...it should tell you how to test it in your manual...will give you a code you'll have to look up and will tell you exactly why the CEL is on... Sounds like that's the reason though...like previously stated...good luck!!
Yes I can go to AutoZone and have them check the code. There isn't one near me though so it would take me driving an extra 15-20 minutes to get to one

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
GSBoek said:

wrong wrong wrong

a thermostat has no way possible to throw a CEL. there are no electronics from the CEL to send a signal to the ECU. if you are having trouble overheating try bleeding your cooling system...

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Smaay said:
GSBoek said:

wrong wrong wrong

a thermostat has no way possible to throw a CEL. there are no electronics from the CEL to send a signal to the ECU. if you are having trouble overheating try bleeding your cooling system...
I know it's the thermo... Had it double-checked. I replaced the coolant correctly when it was in the shop. Then I got the car back and it overheated so I took it to a shop by my work to check it out (same shop that my GNs are at). They checked and it was the thermo. I guess I need to go to AutoZone and have them check my code...

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
It's probably something stupid like a 0420

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
still dosent sound like thermostat. its very difficult to bleed the cooling system in the celica...

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Isn't the only way to check the thermostat is by removing it?

Even if your lower hose isn't warm, it doesn't mean that the reason the coolant isn't circulating because of the thermostat.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SickCelica696 said:
It's probably something stupid like a 0420
Actually I had it checked yesterday and there were 2 codes 0420 and 0420 with some symbol after it :confused: Now I know what the code is for - I ran without an axhaust for a couple years and I think I will need a new cat for the CEL to go away but I don't understand the second code.
Smaay said:
still dosent sound like thermostat. its very difficult to bleed the cooling system in the celica...
Well I tried and thought I did it well and took it to a shop and they did it as well so I would think they would have done it right... well we'll see once the thermo goes in. Worst case scenario is I have another JDM mod :shrugs:

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Yea sometimes you'll get a p0420 A or B or something.. All means the cat is working less than the car would like.. while it doesnt do any harm it just leaves the annoying light on

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SickCelica696 said:
Yea sometimes you'll get a p0420 A or B or something.. All means the cat is working less than the car would like.. while it doesnt do any harm it just leaves the annoying light on
yeah I've dealt with it for years. Sometime after my car's show ready I'll buy a high flow cat

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Smaay said:
wrong wrong wrong

There is no electronics between thermo and ECU, true, but a bad thermo on its own can cause the conditions that will throw a CEL. If all else on your engine is working properly, a stuck thermo will impede the flow of coolant to the radiator, the engine will probably overheat and that will definitely throw a CEL.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
wrong again!!! overheating will not cause a CEL on the celica...the temperature gauge will flash...not untill you sieze the motor will the CEL light up, and thats cause the motor stopped and the key is on...

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Right you are, hahaha, I just never realized the Celica didn't throw a CEL on overheating.

·
Banned
726 Posts
should throw a CEL. The thermostat on my girl's 2002 solara had a bad thermostat and it threw CEL P0128... Got the thermostat replaced and the CEL is gone... maybe celicas don't threw a cel for bad thermostat?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts