NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
next month i am going to attend my second autox(can not wait) and i was wondering if having a torque engine brass will kick me out of sts?(getting the brace like 1 week before i got to the autox)

thanks

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
What's a torque engine brass? Can you provide a link to the part, and/or explain it's function and why you are putting it on?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Lord Banshee,
I've seen the engine brace you're talking about, and yes it's illegal for STS. The SCCA has yet to even approve the use of non-stock motor mounts in STS, and this thing keeps the motor from moving at all.... - AB

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
damn that sucks.... well i guess if they say anything to me at my local events about it then i'll take it off there. If i every get good at this i will make my car stock again and run GS. but i got a lot of learning and a lot of fun before that happens :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
A single engine torque suppression strap is legal in Street Prepared, but I wouldn't recommend strapping the engine down tight on a street driven car.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it isn't super tight(it isn't as good as a solid engine mount) it just helps out... here is a link to it

Matt's Engine Brace

so whats the verdict(Spelling?)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I plan on getting that too but heck its under the engine plastic the tech won't see it. i don't think the brace will really do anything for autoX, now drag racing i think it would help but thats not what were talking about.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
We used torque rods in drag racing, but they went vertically from near the top of the engine to the frame and were solid. They did add a little torque increase, but then the modded V-8s would just about jump out of the engine compartment when you gunned them if you didn't tie em down. They also helped shifting when the floor shift was mounted to the chassis rather than to the transmission. That all said, our inline 4 engines aren't big torquers, watch the engine when you gun it. Plus the bar in the pictures is mounted horizontally to the radiator frame by the looks of it. The Celi shifter is cable operated, so there isn't going to be a linkage bind problem. IMHO it's a solution to a non-existant problem. Probably won't hurt much more than the wallet tho.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i might have gave you the wrong link, but his newest design hooks to the passenger side front sturt tower.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Still, go out, open your hood, and watch the engine when you gun the engine. How much torque rock do you have? The only time torque supression helps much is on a hard dragrace type start where you want all the possible torque transfered to the drive train, instead of being used to twist the engine in it's mounts. There's a few things to consider here: 1. we have a lightweight inline 4 cylinder engine that isn't a torquey engine. 2. it is a FWD transaxle that is bolted to the engine, therefore the engine can't torque twist independent of the driveline like in a RWD car, all the torque is already being transfered to the driveline. 3. Our engines are transverse mounted, any torque supression device , to have any chance of having any effect at all would need to run N-S not E-W. 4. Being rubber mounted will cancel any chance of it being effective even if it's design matched the physics. IMHO it's a bling bling only, there's better places to spend your money, or at least chrome it.

PS: if you really think a torque supression device is necessary, an effective one can be made from a 2.00 piece of pipe strapping and a couple bolts, but it won't impress anyone at the mall carshow.

·
Registered
643 Posts
BlackCelicaGTS3 said:
I plan on getting that too but heck its under the engine plastic the tech won't see it.
Knowingly violating the rules is a GREAT way to make friends.... :nono:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts