NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Will I get a cel if I remove the cat between the two o2 sensor and add a 3 inch stratight pipe? If so, is there anyway to prevent a cel from coming up?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spdysupra1 said:
and and a 3 in strt pipe? reword please
alllll riiight. :thumbup:

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
In theory, you just need an O2 emulator. They have them on ebay and I know there's a few write ups floating around on here too.

·
Registered
324 Posts
well it depends, are you running the pfc? if not then yes you will throw a cel. look up a "defouler" or o2 simulator to avoid getting a cel on the stock ecu

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks with the info.

·
Registered
397 Posts
yeah go buy a spark plug defouler. it worked for me before i got my pfc. its good for a $6.00 mod and no cel. you will need to drill it out a bit but well worth it

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Just wondering, but has anyone ever shown on a dyno that there are any gains to be had from deleting the cat? I can't seem to find any clear evidence that it's worth the trouble...

·
Registered
903 Posts
^^^not to mention pollution!

It definatly adds 30 ish HP on the high boost turbo apps. I'm not at all convinced it does anything on NA celicas... the stock cat is pretty high flow.

·
Registered
903 Posts
dont get the emulator. The defouler is a much better mod and more reliable.

·
Registered
903 Posts
btagoc said:

It definatly adds 30 ish HP on the high boost turbo apps. I'm not at all convinced it does anything on NA celicas... the stock cat is pretty high flow.
its not my fault FL doesnt do emissions testing anymore.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
those big ass trucks pour out black smoke and thats healthy to right?? I dk how restrictive the stock cat is but on a boost celica get rid of it for sure.... you want the least amount of back pressure possible.... catless will improve top end, spool up and over all hp/tq.... now N/A I dk what it'd help.... the GTS produces all its power after 6k so the better flow up top the more power you'll make and faster the car would be.... I just dk how much power there is to be gained.... Anyone have DYNO proof either way??

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have written a bypass install in the install section. Right now its still in the write your own install section.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TRDAzNSpEeDeR said:
dont get the emulator. The defouler is a much better mod and more reliable.
where can i get one? got links?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
btagoc said:

well if you look at the dynos that are in boosted 2.0's thread you see gains with a ported header all the way up to 6k and the big cam.. once that kicks in there is no more, so the thinking is the cat is the restriction. either way I'm gonna decat and dyno with boosted's header in a few weeks here so I'll find out one way or the other.
But I'd be stoked if the gains just kept on climbing while in lift like they do on the dyno sheets before lift.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
The defouler is available at autozone (you need the 18mm one) - and they come in a pack of two. If there are two lengths get the longer ones. You will need both. Take one of the defoulers, chuck it up in a vice and expand the hole in it to 1/2" with a drill, then screw the O2 sensor into it. (do not use a grinder or dremel - you want the hole to be exactly 1/2") Take the other and screw it into the exhaust. do NOT enlarge the hole. Then take the sensor / defouler combo you buuilt and screw it into the unmodified defouler already screwed into the exhaust. Check to make sure everything is tight.

To make the process eaiser go into your passenger side footwell and pull back the carpet at the center console - you will see the 4 wire harness form the sensor runs grom a gromet next to the passenger seat forward to a connector next to the radio. Disconnect the connector and pop the grommet and connector out through the bottom so you won't have to worry about getting your sensor wires all bound up and twisted while you do this.

Thats all there is to it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Will cutting off the cat make the car alot louder? I like the sound of my TRD exhaust and dont want to make it overly loud. I have been thinking about getting a test pipe put on my GTS but havent decided for sure yet. I am not sure about on this car but I know on my last car (98 na eclipse) that getting the cat taken off was like night and day. It would rev so much smoother and had a very noticable power increase but it also drove me crazy when driving 70+ mph because of how loud it was.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Yep - it makes it louder.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sorry to bring this up from the dead.

i just want to clear things up before i do anything.

so if i remove the stock cat and replace it with a 3" striaght pipe it will throw on the CEL light? is defouler or O2 emulator really recommend?

would having the CEL light up would that cause bad performance or make the car run diffrent in a bad way?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts