NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound really stupid... but the leading edge on a spoiler/wing is the small side or the big side?? Sorry for the stupid question but it's just one of those things that you should know but if you don't it's hard to find out without asking someone who does... thanks.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's what I was thinking but I wasn't entirely sure... if it was just supposed to be like an upside down airplane wing which would have the big side in the front or like a totally reversed and upside down one with the small part in the front...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Leading edge of a wing is thicker than the trailing edge, whether creating lift (as on an aircraft wing), downforce (on a car), or even propulsion (a propeller blade is just a wing turned on its side). Of course, this has little to do with the stock Celica wing, and many other car "wings" for that matter, which do not have any proper wing shape, are totally cosmetic and have no aerodynamic impact whatsoever, other than drag. But, if you were to look at the wing on a F1 car, or a top fuel dragster, a cross section view will show it is thicker on the leading edge... If you want some longer and more technical explanations, I can refer you to my old flight training books, but not sure you want/need to be that bored

·
Registered
36 Posts
Oh, forgot to add, for downforce, as opposed to lift on an airplane wing, the wing is flipped over, but the thicker side is still the leading edge. Downforce is created by the angle of attack (just like an aircraft wing is angled slightly up, on a car, its slightly down), and the vacuum produced by the airflow on the curved side (now on the bottom) having to rush around the surface at a faster rate than its counterpart on the other side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts