NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to know if anyone has ever wired up their standard 3rd brake light AND the TRD (or style) 3rd brake light so that BOTH turn on when braking.

I know its overkill but I just want to know if it's feasible. :confused:

Also, I have the regular stock fogs and additional 4 inch halogen ones in my TRD bumper. The stock ones are already wired to the steering wheel switch and I would like to wire the 4 inch ones also with as little trouble as possible (meaning I would like to avoid having to run another harness if possible).

Can someone tell me if splicing those fogs into the existing stock fog wiring would lead to problems? Would the current be sufficient to light both sets or will it be too much of a strain on the harness?

Thank you for any help you guys and gals can offer.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
For both you splice them into each other.. im not sure bout the current being good enough tho somebody else would have to tell you that

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I'm sure it's possible to make both brake lights come on. It's not so much the overkill, but the fact that the person driving behind you might not see you well and, thinking the roof brake light was the true rear of the car, overshoots his/her braking distance and rear-ends you.

·
Registered
453 Posts
it may put too much amperage draw on the fuse and you can risk blowing the fuse, or even worse the fuse may not blow but the wires might get too hot and melt risking a car fire, not a real good thing, just do one or the other, theres probably a reason its like that from the factory

·
Premium Member
6,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
drpdmazda said:
it may put too much amperage draw on the fuse and you can risk blowing the fuse, or even worse the fuse may not blow but the wires might get too hot and melt risking a car fire, not a real good thing, just do one or the other, theres probably a reason its like that from the factory
LightningRod said:
I'm sure it's possible to make both brake lights come on. It's not so much the overkill, but the fact that the person driving behind you might not see you well and, thinking the roof brake light was the true rear of the car, overshoots his/her braking distance and rear-ends you.
So it would be better to draw the current straight from the battery I guess.... An electrical fire is the last thing I'd want. Thanks Drpdmazda.

As for the 3rd brakes, I'm not too worried about confusing other drivers since it's like that stock anyways and no one has had that problem yet. Thanks for the suggestion though LightningRod, I'll evaluate that possibility if I manage to get both lights working.
So, has anyone done this before? Is there anyone with both lights working or is it a physical impossibility because of the way the stock wiring is set?

·
Premium Member
6,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
slidr said:
Having the fogs and brake lights like that is illegal.
Why would they be?

·
Premium Member
6,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
slidr said:
Having the fogs and brake lights like that is illegal.
and I hope your not saying that because of "aesthetic" reasons...

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
You can easily wire the 3rd light and TRD light together, the wiring for the spoiler comes from the light anyways. And for adding more fogs I would just add your own wiring and an inline fuse, I tried adding to the stock ones and I was blowing fuses left and right. They wern't designed for it.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,635 Posts
Additonal fog lights will definitely have to be wired to a different supply source... but can be controlled via a relay off the stock system.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Yea I was thinking relay or just a switch.. He might not want all 4 at all times..

·
Premium Member
6,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SickCelica696 said:
You can easily wire the 3rd light and TRD light together, the wiring for the spoiler comes from the light anyways. And for adding more fogs I would just add your own wiring and an inline fuse, I tried adding to the stock ones and I was blowing fuses left and right. They wern't designed for it.
Alright great. Can you explain how this can be done? I'll be the first to admit that I'm not that electrically inclined.
Maybe a simple electrical diagram would be enough.

·
Premium Member
6,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2way: you seem to know your way around electrical circuits. Can you help me out?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts