NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me ask you guys a question and I want to know what everyone's opinion is,

Running the XS Turbokit at 7psi, I think we're near the limit of what the 2ZZ's internal can handle. Now like most of you, my car is a daily driver and I want it to be as reliable as possible on a limited budget. Because at 7psi, I don't feel too confident on the stock safety margin if something were to happen.

The question is, if there are no plans to up the boost more than 7psi, and money is a factor, so you can only be able to get either a Wiseco Low Compression Pistons or Crower Rods, which would you choose?

The stock 2ZZ rods are very weak, so its logical to replace them first. But the arguement with the pistons is that not only its stronger and lighter, it also lowers compression and put less stress on the connecting rods. Kinda kill 2 birds with 1 stone. The downside to this is that you will lose 15-20whp, which is'nt too big of a deal when you already have 250+.

Crower Connecting Rods: $750
Wiseco Pistons: $500

·
Registered
755 Posts
Ok, if you're going to strip the engine down and take the block apart ANYWAY...do em both...since the rod is connected to the piston......

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lormax said:
Ok, if you're going to strip the engine down and take the block apart ANYWAY...do em both...since the rod is connected to the piston......
Damn I knew someone's going to say that. But that does not answer the question. I do not want to buy both if its not absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I see what you are saying. Very good question. .

Essentially. what is the weak link here? My guess would be the rods.

What if you were to just replace the Rods, leave the compression ratio the same....

Would you essentially have a more reliable way to run 7 psi?

Didn't the SCC Matrix throw a rod because some jackass put 89 octane in it?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The Weak Link

The rods are the weakest part of the two, it's a damn if you do and damn if you don't situation. Your not goig to push any higher than 7 psi with the stock compression ratio on a daily driver so do the rods. If you want to push higher than 7 psi you have to do the pistons BUT the stock rods will bend like pretzels under higher boost. Your best bet is being you've waited this long for F/I is to wait a little longer and save the $500.00 more you need. It doesn't make sense when the motor is torn down not to do both from a labor aspect. You should also keep in mind when they tear down your motor that you should have all new bearings, gaskets and head studs done. If you want just 7 psi you don't have to do anything I've mentioned. Remember I'm only 15 minutes from the GWB and I orded a ton off stuff today from the West Coast for the ZO so I'll be boosting by the summer:AF:

·
Registered
755 Posts
What I see happening, is you getting the rods, and the turbo, and then enjoying the turbo to hell and back, and wanting more...so you pay AGAIN to tear the engine down...gasket set? Almost 200 bux...head bolts? Probably 50-60 for the set. crankbearing set? Probably 50..there's 300 in parts you can save by doing it right the first time....

·
Registered
406 Posts
i say you just do everything at once. You would be spending alot more money on labor getting just rods or pistons, then crack the engine open again later to put other stuff in. Just save up and do it all at once. The internals should last 100,000 miles before you seriously have to think about rebuilding. Of course this takes a lot of maintenance and precaution, but i think its possible and so does XS from what i was able to discuss with them. good luck

·
Registered
857 Posts
Lets see here...if we have the money to afford a turbo...i think we'd be capable of buying rods and pistons...There is no one without the other...u need an aftermarket piston with an aftermarket rod...they essentially have to work with one another...when ur usin a stock rod with an aftermarket piston or vice versa ur gonna run into problems with mass balance and all that kinda stuff...i think the stock piston was designed for the stock rod...so it would be a good thing to get both...think about what happens after that...300+ HP with pistons and rods...what can happen to the tranny???? Gosh a whole new tranny will be needed.

·
Registered
22,454 Posts
Dont do one without the other. Its a major pita to swap out the rods or pistons so why would you want to do it 2x? By changing one without changing the other all you would be doing is changing the weakest link from the rods to the pistons. Save up your $$ until you can afford both and do both at the same time.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Well my car has 100,000 miles on it about now. I will be hopefully getting one of the first five turbo kits. I don't have any idea how long my internals will last because of the milage already put on them. I will just stick with my stock until something goes wrong then do all the internals at once. So that I can save on my labor costs. Then i will have a fresh engine. It just does not make sense to me to change something thats not broken. But of course adding extras are not a problem!

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
hmmm.... I hear bent pistons more than throwing a rod, which kinda say piston should go first rods second. But then like others say I would just save up and do both at same time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
>how bout a groupbuy on the rod and piston package?

No need- they're on sale this month.

http://monkeywrenchracing.com/toyota.html

I'm planning to order the low-comp pistons and the rods before the sale is over and have them installed later when I get my turbo. I heard it drops your power a little if you run the lower comp without the turbo installed. I bet you could run a lot of nitrous though :applaud:

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
cool2miketlu said:
hmmm $499 for 8.8:1 pistons... $809 for rods.... so tempting....
Go for it, Mike! You'd take Celica performance to the next level if you hooked up your internals. Since I've been paying for my mods with straight-up cash, I don't have the money to build my internals right now. One day, maybe...

·
Registered
80 Posts
>hmmm $499 for 8.8:1 pistons... $809 for rods.... so tempting....

I had to call and ask about this- there's actually 10% off the $809 for rods this month through the website. That's why I want to get them now. $81 off is a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
74 Posts
if you lower the compression be sure to put enough boost to more than make up for it or else you've just blown $1,500 on less performance...

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
it just lowered down to 8.8:1 ...hMm..maybe d.d. turbo kit and once the xs is released, i'll say there's gonna be hella damn aftermarkets cominq. =] i saved up to 5 grand..i mite as well just wait a little longer..it wont hurt =..hopefully..]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts