NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My sisters 00 gts 6-speed started acting up a few months ago. Seams to only happen after shutting the engine off and getting gas. Once the car is filled up it is difficult to start, won't hold a steady idle, and stalls. If I hold the revs up and drive it hard for a few minutes the problem goes away. The first time I complained the dealer couldn't find anything. I thought there might be some water in the gas tank, so I tried adding some gas drier to the tank. The problem soon came back. Its happens at different gas stations too, so its not bad gas. My father took it in for service a few weeks ago. After getting ripped off on a brake job ($400 for new pads and installation) They proceeded to clean the fuel injectors and possibly the throttle body. My father was told there was carbon or some other buildup in there which was causing the poor idle. They blamed it on the Rod Millen intake that I installed almost 2 years ago. They said something like because it eliminated a sensor it was causing the carbon buildup or what not. I never had any problems with this intake except for the emissions check engine light it throws. I think its for evaporation or something. Anyway, They did their cleaning, and the total bill was close to $1000. Also they replaced a belt tensioner that they claim "someone" broke. Funny thing is I did all the service on the car myself except what the dealer did and I never touched the tensioner. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I don't want to re-install the stock intake. I think its bs. The only other mods the car has is TRD springs and shifter.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Make sure that you turn the gas cap at least 3 clicks to the right. Make sure it's tight. Also, don't overfill. Stop when the gas pump stops. Try this first.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason for the check engine light is the Rod Millen intake eliminates one of the sensors in the stock air box. Gas cap is always tight.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have this gas problem too; there was a post a while back about it, seems that it is a common problem. We never could come to a conclustion about what causes it. It's not the intake though, 'cause mine is stock. Did your problem come back after the service? Let me know?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had the same problem. Are you "topping-off" your tank? If so - CUT IT OUT.

When the fuel pump cuts off, take it out of your car and put your gas cap on (turn it until it clicks several times). Don't "top-off" the tank ever.

I was doing this when I first got my car and had the same symptoms. Once I quit doing that, the symptoms went away immediately.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yep, that's me. Always trying to get that last .3-.4 gallons of gas by topping it off. I'll have to experiment on my next fill-up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts