NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone is selling an 88 Camaro, missing a transmission. Link --> LS1 tech listing. Body is in OK-fixable-for-cheap shape, motor is recently rebuild, the only thing missing is the tranny. I priced it out and with gas and renting a trailer for it, it'll cost about $300 to get it to my house. So for $800 I could have this car, find a tranny to throw in there and have a pretty decent, running 3rd gen Camaro for under $1500 (which could then be sold for a good $3-4000). Worth it?

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
Someone is selling an 88 Camaro, missing a transmission. Link --> LS1 tech listing. Body is in OK-fixable-for-cheap shape, motor is recently rebuild, the only thing missing is the tranny. I priced it out and with gas and renting a trailer for it, it'll cost about $300 to get it to my house. So for $800 I could have this car, find a tranny to throw in there and have a pretty decent, running 3rd gen Camaro for under $1500 (which could then be sold for a good $3-4000). Worth it?
No. Why not get another Celica?

EDIT: by the way I just clicked on the link and there is a lot more wrong than just the transmission. Car has no center console, clutch, wiring is ****ed to the engine, seller probably doesn't know what engine management is on the car.

You could end up buying a whole list of parts.

·
Banned
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's still $500. You can't even get a rolling chassis for these cars for $500. Worse comes to worst, part out the car and at least make the money back. Could probably sell that motor for damn near $500.

I agree that the wiring problem could be a deal breaker tho. I try to stay away from wiring. It's usually a nightmare.

And I'd shoot myself before I get another Celica. Celica's are childs play compared to what I want.

·
Banned
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah. But the LSx in a Celica is gonna take thousands of dollars and a ton of garage space. Right now, we only have a one car garage and two Corvettes currently fighting over garage space.

·
gb2 ff
455 Posts
that thing is one "IROC" sticker away from being the most douchebaggy car on the planet
always hated those cars. just my personal bias tho

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
do not do that.

Get a very clean 305 tpi 5-speed Camaro RS or a very clean 350 auto Trans Am GTA.

You can't go cheap with 3rd gen F-bodies or else you get someone else's problems.

I personally have my eye on a GTA in a few months.

·
Banned
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I personally have my eye on a GTA in a few months.
I'm really getting into F-bodies. I'm looking for a late model Trans-Am (01-02, cuz they had the LS6 intake) for my next car. After winter tho. I don't want to have to weigh down the rear end in order to get any traction.

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
It's still $500. You can't even get a rolling chassis for these cars for $500. Worse comes to worst, part out the car and at least make the money back. Could probably sell that motor for damn near $500.

I agree that the wiring problem could be a deal breaker tho. I try to stay away from wiring. It's usually a nightmare.

And I'd shoot myself before I get another Celica. Celica's are childs play compared to what I want.
The guy can't even sell it for 700 or 500 on an LS1 board. What makes you think someone wants a 88 Camaro chassis?

Even if you spend 500 dollars you still have to spend another 400-500 just to get the car towed to your location.

Why buy a nonworking car without a daily driver to begin with?

·
Can't touch this.
3,629 Posts
I'm looking for a late model Trans-Am (01-02, cuz they had the LS6 intake) for my next car. After winter tho. I don't want to have to weigh down the rear end in order to get any traction.
Don't bitch out if you go for a trans am. Spend the extra 6-8k and get a firehawk, yes, a firehawk. It will most likely be in better condition, nicer, with lower miles.

·
Can't touch this.
3,629 Posts
That is the reason I didn't get one.

My teacher was selling an 02 with 8k miles to me for 10k because he does business with my dad. We tried getting it on the exotic insurance plan but they wouldn't let it with me as the main driver. He ended up getting like 18k for it.

That car, my god was that power amazing. It was SLP #16 out of 201 or something like that. SLP everything. In hindsight, that car has to much power for me at this age.

·
Banned
288 Posts
Spend the extra 6-8k and get a firehawk
I want either a Firehawk or a WS6.

And the SLP package sh!t is WAY too much power. I wanna keep the engine bone stock until I get used to the car (300+ RWHP is enough for a while). It's just gonna need suspension work to make it not so squirrely. These cars like to kick out as soon as you give it a little bit of power, because the frame is in two separate parts.

·
Super Moderator
46,778 Posts
CLEANED UP.

Lets leave all of the personal stuff out of this thread and stick to the '88 Camaro, or I can issue warnings. This isn't OT:EAYOR.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Dont buy it.

If it were so EASY to just stick a tranny in, he would have done it long time ago and sold the car for the $3k-$4k you say they are worth.

Up to you though.

WOW, just read this:

Also, there is no master/slave cylinder, driveshaft, transmission crossmember, bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, or center console.

Yeah, just the tranny....

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
Dont buy it.

If it were so EASY to just stick a tranny in, he would have done it long time ago and sold the car for the $3k-$4k you say they are worth.

Up to you though.

WOW, just read this:

Also, there is no master/slave cylinder, driveshaft, transmission crossmember, bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, or center console.

Yeah, just the tranny....
I posted this as well.

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
slp package/firehawk are overpriced marketing gimmicks.

you can make 50% more power and spend 50% as much money with aftermarket parts from a run of the mill car with a v8.

the only reason to get them is if you're a car collector.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts