NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Toyota Celica Gt Manual and was wondering if I am able to just lift the car and remove the transmission plate to get to the clutch or would I have to remove it completely? Any advice, videos and/or Pics would help. Thank you.

·
I am the E in FAIL
1,024 Posts
Just a suggestion. Call your local toyota dealership. Or read the manual?!? You know that book thing in the glove compartment. Seeing as you possibly have you.
Reading the manual won't help, try searching in the maintenance thread. Or just use the red search bar.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
if youre asking that question then you shouldnt diy. take it to a shop

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes, the transmission needs to be seperated from the engine. It is about middle of the road as far as difficulty, but if done wrong can easily damage your transmission. The short list of what needs to be pulled:

Wheels, brakes, hubs, axle halfshafts, battery, ecu box, three motor mounts, transmission + lots of bolts and small misc parts.

You also need a way to support your motor (Engine Hoist) if you pull the trans leaving the motor in vehicle.

If this sounds like its too much work, or out of your realm of skills, take it to a shop and pay to have it installed.

·
2,644 Posts
if you don't have a fair understanding of cars, i would suggest taking it to a shop and having them do it, i remember asking for a quote for a new clutch, they were charging around 600 installed (400+clutch) give or take.
i did it myself, and while the transmission was out i replaced a few of the syncros, but it's a difficult task, as you need to separate the transmission from the engine.
you don't need to FULLY remove the transmission to change the clutch, just need to move the transmission a bit to the side to swap out a clutch, but even so, it's a good 5 hour job to do so, as you have to remove a lot in order to move the transmission.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I kinda figured that. And I really wasnt planning on doing it myself. I was just curious because I just want to know for the worst of the worst scenarios. I am planning on buying a project car and remove the engine and transmission myself as a practice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.