NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Samoyed
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a used 1zz-fe engine to replace the blown motor in my 2003 GT (5-speed). I can afford to spend around $2k, including shipping.
I live in Alaska, so shipping cost is a concern.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
how did it blow? if you can afford that much, get a new shortblock and use your head.

·
Samoyed
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Celica owner no more...

Thanks for the advice...
The head is toast.
The shop said that the timing chain broke and got snarled in the cams. A private mechanic said that the motor had also swallowed valves, damaging the pistons.
My Bad...
at 17K miles, it didn't burn any oil. By 50k, it was 1qt per thousand, by 75k, it was a qt per 500, and at 85k I forgot to add oil :stupid:when I stopped for gas. I never had a low oil indication, but the shop said the oil level was "very low."
So, I can't return my motor for a core charge. My Celica ran a made in Japan 1zz-FED, and buying a used 1zz-FE out of a Corolla, sight unseen, is a risky proposition. Definitely Caveat Emptor. MWR wants $750 for shipping a used engine to AK.
Long answer... I just don't have the cash to fix it properly.
I just sold the Celica:sadwave: for $1000
That cash will go towards making my other vehicle (1992 F150 shortbed 2wd) in to a winter-worthy daily driver.
I've now owned a 1st gen. ('76 GT), a 6th gen. (ST coupe) and a 7th gen.
Hopefully, there's another Celica (or maybe an FR-S) in my future.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm in BC, and I'll have a 1ZZ w/ 5 speed, that has 100k on it available in a couple months. I'd be able to let it go for well under 2k.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts