NewCelica.org Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I drove an hour for another one of our dumb ass meetings where we don't get sh!t done...we didn't even go into the pizza place like we normally do, we just stood around in the parking lot talking sh!t about eachother. Luckily, we decided to go to Del Taco after, and after some time managed to set up a race between a slightly modded 03 Cobra vs Emanuel's STi.

I'll give the Cobra driver one thing, he's one of the ONLY Mustang drivers I've ever seen in my 6+years of racing (with a license anyway) who could launch his car on the street. He warmed up the tires well (not hard to do) and managed to stick his Torque monster to the ground pretty well. Emanuel spent that time putting ice on his intercooler (while the Cobra warmed up his drag radials or whatever he was running)

At any rate, they did 3 runs, the results were as follows:

1st race: Cobra jumped the gun, and of course won because of it due to how close the two cars were.

2nd race: The STi pulls him off the line partially due to AWD, and partially due to a better reaction time. He pulled (from where I was standing) about a car and a half ahead, kept that lead pretty evenly through 1st, and 2nd, with the Cobra reeling him in during 3rd gear. I couldn't tell from where I was standing, but I think they were pretty close...I know Emanuel has a habbit of putting his hazards on before the finish, but the Cobra did that on the first run, so it's not like he's the only one who did it. Anyway, it looked pretty close to a tie to me, but I think the verdict was (at least from what guys I talked to, was the STi won by a little, there was some dispute over where the end of the 1320 actually was...although had they gone just a LITTLE more, the Cobra would have passed him for sure due to how he was reeling in the STi.

3rd race: Same launch, Emanuel gets a little better reaction time, pulls the Cobra by a little more than a car, keeps the lead, then the Cobra starts pulling, misses 3rd gear, and the STi won.

All in all, they were pretty close. The STi took the Cobra off the line pretty well each time (and the Cobra was launching WELL!) and then the Cobra started to reel the STi back in, due to the marginally better highend of most RWD F/I cars, as opposed to AWD F/I cars. The Cobra looked like it was either running drag radials, or slicks, it was hard to tell due to lack of light. I think the Cobra had gutted cats, pullies, some chip, and maybe some kinda downpipe, not sure. The STi has about 100lbs weight reduction (although the driver is a fat bean ;) downpipe, slightly upped boost, some 360 blah blah (I don't know Subbie mods).

I'm sure he'll post what he has, and there was a lot of talking about what the Cobra did and did not have, either way, they were good races, the Cobra walked away with $40, and I'm sure Emanuel will lay a hurting on him when he gets a few more mods on the STi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,225 Posts
good close kills bro!! those ponies...:gay: ..... i mean stang cobras are freakin torque monsters
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
Re: XFactorWRX's STi vs 03 Cobra (Supercharged, with pullies, chip, minor other stuff)

XFactor95SupraT said:

I'll give the Cobra driver one thing, he's one of the ONLY Mustang drivers I've ever seen in my 6+years of racing (with a license anyway) who could launch his car on the street.

Emanuel gets a little better reaction time, pulls the Cobra by a little more than a car, keeps the lead, then the Cobra starts pulling, misses 3rd gear, and the STi won.

misses 3rd gear

You need to meet some other Mustang drivers. There are plenty of good drivers around here. You need to meet the serious ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,647 Posts
emmy has made me proud once again..
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
15,564 Posts
F22-Raptor said:
How did the Mustang owner walk away with money??
Beat them up and stole their lunch money maybe?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,647 Posts
the STi isnt really modded, he has a Helix downpipe and unbolted exhaust.. as for the weight reduction i dont really know what he could have taken off except for seats... i wish i would have been there.. i would have beat him all the times

anyway.. according to your story eman won twice and the cobra once.. so how DID he walk away with 40 bucks?... one you said was disputed.. so shouldnt there have been another run made to justify one's victory?... shouldnt race for money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
718 Posts
Yah I was there too, the Cobra was from MMR, Modular Mustang Racing In Oxnard, CA. The owner was the driver I think. Their shop holds the record for the fastest 5spd mustang [email protected] @ LACR fyi. The Cobra that Eman raced looked like a new project they were barely starting, with a few bolt-ons they were out I guess to see what it could do against an STi.

Anyways, the reason they they won the 40 bucks was because the first race was for 40, since the cobra jump the gun and emmanuel chased the race, that was a win for the cobra. The 2nd and 3rd race was for fun. Anyways, that 40 bucks was probably pocket change to those owners of MMR, Our broke asses on the other hand had to give up our Del Taco Funds for the night and starve. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,647 Posts
you mean.. they let my Xfactor children starve?.. those bastids
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,350 Posts
stock sti verus slightly modded Cobra?

Cobra would walk away hard. low 12's versus high 12's low 13's.

But i kno wyou guys dont lie. So :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,647 Posts
not stock STi, the STi has unbolted exhaust and a helix downpipe, not much i know.. but its NOT stock.. this is a turbocharged car so unbolting exhaust/downpipe most likely makes a difference.. i know this from experience
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by TRDGTS026spd
not stock STi, the STi has unbolted exhaust and a helix downpipe, not much i know.. but its NOT stock.. this is a turbocharged car so unbolting exhaust/downpipe most likely makes a difference.. i know this from experience
at best id say it makes him equal to a STOCK Cobra.

MOD FOR MOD
Cobra > STI
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,647 Posts
yeah but mustang = white trash ferrari

no offense to mustang owners
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
15,564 Posts
NoRulzAt140 Mph said:
at best id say it makes him equal to a STOCK Cobra.

MOD FOR MOD
Cobra > STI
On the track yes on the street no. Too much power not enough rubber on the Cobra. IMO anyways. 4 contact patches > 2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by Boosted2.0
On the track yes on the street no. Too much power not enough rubber on the Cobra. IMO anyways. 4 contact patches > 2
The Cobra doesnt magically get slower. Tho, I agree. Of course the track is better. But then again, the AWD would have the advantage in both situation.

4 contact patches + sticky track > 4 contact patches on street > 2 contact patches. By you rphilosophy of course.

But that doesnt stray away from the fact that the cobra mod for mod will always be faster.
 

·
Vendor
Joined
·
15,564 Posts
NoRulzAt140 Mph said:
The Cobra doesnt magically get slower. Tho, I agree. Of course the track is better. But then again, the AWD would have the advantage in both situation.

4 contact patches + sticky track > 4 contact patches on street > 2 contact patches. By you rphilosophy of course.

But that doesnt stray away from the fact that the cobra mod for mod will always be faster.
I guess I didn't put it in context very well. Aside from at the track most of the "racing" I would do on the street is just stoplight to stoplight stuff. If you aren't getting over 60 or 70 mph on average pavement the Mustang will never make up the difference on launch. But yeah, otherwise mod for mod the Cobra should do better - I mean hell its got twice the displacement - it BETTER respond well to mods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by Boosted2.0
If you aren't getting over 60 or 70 mph on average pavement the Mustang will never make up the difference on launch.
The Cobra has a quicker 0 to 60. I do believe the STI has a quicker 0 to 30. So if anything, The cobra should be even or at ahead the 60 mark. Most often than not tho, behind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
654 Posts
TRDGTS026spd said:
the STi isnt really modded, he has a Helix downpipe and unbolted exhaust.. as for the weight reduction i dont really know what he could have taken off except for seats... i wish i would have been there.. i would have beat him all the times

anyway.. according to your story eman won twice and the cobra once.. so how DID he walk away with 40 bucks?... one you said was disputed.. so shouldnt there have been another run made to justify one's victory?... shouldnt race for money.
I had my stock muffler on as well and the wing was on too.
as for the weight reduction, it was more like 60 lbs removed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
654 Posts
the 1st race was gay cause that guy in the stang had his cheater friend flagging the race, and they have there own little tricks of giving there buddies the go, so i got taken off the line and he pulled 3-4 cars by the end. 2nd time i beat him fair and square, beat him by a car to the end of the quarter and and stayed ahead for about another sec. 3rd race he missed third. he was getting really upset at the fact that his shop car was having a hard time with a slighty modded STi. from what he told me at the end of the last run, he said he was running a pulley, chip, h or x pipe, no cats, intake and tire. i have 3/16 restrictor, removed intake silencer, helix DP, 60lbs removed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by x-factorWRX
the 1st race was gay cause that guy in the stang had his cheater friend flagging the race, and they have there own little tricks of giving there buddies the go, so i got taken off the line and he pulled 3-4 cars by the end. 2nd time i beat him fair and square, beat him by a car to the end of the quarter and and stayed ahead for about another sec. 3rd race he missed third. he was getting really upset at the fact that his shop car was having a hard time with a slighty modded STi. from what he told me at the end of the last run, he said he was running a pulley, chip, h or x pipe, no cats, intake and tire. i have 3/16 restrictor, removed intake silencer, helix DP, 60lbs removed.
Thats cuz you are a "fawkin pimp"

:chuckles:

Nice kill regardless :)
 
1 - 20 of 108 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top