NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, i have to once again give mad props to Keyshawn. Ok, now heres my question...I saw keyshawn's dynoes without the cat that put out about 266 hp...and i also know that it would probably wouldnt take much more to get that number close to 300 to the wheels. That means that the clutch will have to be upgraded without a doubt...but wouldnt this be ALOT harder on our already weak synchros? I would be more worried about those going out sooner than anything else. How long do you think the synchros will last? and is there any aftermarket company that offers an upgrade for them?

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Synchros do not hold power, they only match the engine gear speed with your driveshaft so you can get into gear without grinding. Your gears are the ones that are one that is transfering the power to the wheel.

Even though the power have been greatly increase, the torque only peaked to around 180tq. It's not HP that kills tranny and clutches, its the torque. While 180tq maybe a lot for a 4 cylinder engine, in reality, its not really much. Remember even the most mild street ACT clutch are capable of holding upto 230lbs of torque.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Yes our tranny life will be shorten, but that's matter of having a tranny that last 100k miles instead of say 150k.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, i was worried about that because i can already feel my synchros grinding a little more often. Im really hoping to get this kit someday...just gotta pull $5 grand out of my ass now :(

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
charlez13 said:
First of all, i have to once again give mad props to Keyshawn. Ok, now heres my question...I saw keyshawn's dynoes without the cat that put out about 266 hp...and i also know that it would probably wouldnt take much more to get that number close to 300 to the wheels. That means that the clutch will have to be upgraded without a doubt...but wouldnt this be ALOT harder on our already weak synchros? I would be more worried about those going out sooner than anything else. How long do you think the synchros will last? and is there any aftermarket company that offers an upgrade for them?
Thanks! Tranny seems fine at these power levels. As for the long-term effects, no one knows. The only way to find out is to see how long all the XS-powered Celicas last, but that will ultimately be a process that takes years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts