NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys how "bolt on" is this kit. Can it be installed by ur more than average wrench head. The only road block I see is getting behind the engine and installing the turbo manifold. Did u guys crane the engine in order to get back there or is it possible to squeeze in there?

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
There should'nt be anything "difficult" about this kit, not difficult like say, installing a LSD. But it should be very time consuming and you will need all the right tools. There is probably some drilling and welding, wiring, etc. There is a good chance that some parts don't fit exactly and you have to be creative about it.

There's nothing "bolt-on" about most bolt-on kits. It varies, you just have to wait and see after people get theirs.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Wiring in new injector leads to fit the bigger Denso units, welding the oil return tap onto the oil pan, cutting my stock cat from the stock midpipe and welding flanges on it so I didn't need to buy an expensive aftermarket one: IMHO, these were some of the most difficult things about installing the kit. Beyond my capabilities, at least. As far as fitting the turbo and manifold itself, talk to the guys on this site who've done header installs on their GT-S's. It's a similar process, although a little more difficult since the turbo and manifold are a little bigger than a header. Removing the engine is not necessary. Like nyoneway says, many "bolt-on" kits are similarly difficult to install ( with the exception that many cars have exhaust manifolds that are more accessible than ours). As always, consult XS personally to see if you'd be able to handle a job like this, or if they can recommend a shop near you to help you with install. XS Engineering: (714)-698-8300

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry, I haven't cruised the forums in a while. Just like all the required work that Keyshawn posted, this kit is for the intermediate to advanced installer/mechanic. We actually do not recommend that ANY turbo work be done at home, but for the mechanically inclined it shouldn't be a problem. If this is your first turbo install, I would recommend having somebody that is truly experienced (not one or two kits) or having a mechanic do the work. Any competent mechanic should be capable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts