NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yay, test drove a 997 Carrera!!

I went with my dad to check out the new 997's and got to test drive one! He didn't go to the first unveiling of them since we were in MS. Before this I only drove a 996 turbo back and forth on a driveway so driving on the highway and major roads was definitely different. :chuckles: Unfortunately I couldn't go past 4k rpms but it was really fun to drive! :D The tach, speedo, so on are all jumbled up in the front which takes getting used to (analog and digital). She felt kind of small like my Celica only with the sweet flat six purr. :p: Four piston calipers definitely stopped in a millisecond at the light! The clutch can definitely take the abuse - I thought I was supposed to baby it like the Celica but riding it a little isn't bad. I'm not sure if "Sport" mode was on, I was too nervous to play around while driving with the salesman! Pics to come.

My description of the ride: :drool: and :D

mei*

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
my dad has a 2003 996, i drive it all the time, its a great car, handles like a dream and fast as crap...i love it

John

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by J5ISALIVE
my dad has a 2003 996, i drive it all the time, its a great car, handles like a dream and fast as crap...i love it

John

Yeah, my dad has a 996 C4 but he won't let me touch it. :wtc: He seems to love it TOO much!

mei*

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, now that I've changed my thong, here are the pics. :chuckles: Sorry if someone's already posted pics, I figured the 997's look a little more real to me than in a Porsche photo shoot.

Here's the Carrera that I was lucky enough to test:

Here's the Carrera S if anyone cares:

Regular Carrera:

I think the tail lights look better now with the red outlining and they have some Porsche 3M-like clear bra stuff between the door and rear tire to protect the paint.

mei*

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by larryd
Incredible isnt it? I got to drive a 911 GT2 a couple years ago and DAMN that was impressive.
Oh yummy! Yeah, I've always begged my dad to let me drive his car but he's never given in. Now that I have driven one, I've definitely felt how awesomely built Porsches are. It kind of makes you want a rear engine car. :chuckles:

mei*

·
Registered
80 Posts
Porsches are fun and all, but the parts cost an arm and a leg compared to anything else I've owned.

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
Even an oil change on something like that is expensive..

I love tho, the fact that the 993, the 996 and the 997 are all hot..

john

·
Registered
80 Posts
Speaking of oil changes, the oil filter on the 944 engine is mounted upside down so you have to be pretty quick when changing it out. There's a trick to it with a plastic grocery sack but it's nearly impossible to keep it from spilling a little. Other than that... ok and all the Allen head bolts it's a pretty good engine to work on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts