NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the market for some coilovers atm and I'm trying to decide between getting the Zeal B6 or the V6. In both cases, im probably going to go with the BASIC spring (rather than the swift), just because im thinking that the swift springs will be too stiff (i have a set of 19s with low profiles coming as well).

Which one do you guys think i should go with?

On a side note, the only other 2 coilovers i think are worth considering are the tien SS-P (w EDFC) or JIC FLT-A2. But only because these are cheaper and in the case of the teins, i have an audio setup covering the spot where the dampener adjuster knobs are...so the EDFC will be quite useful.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I would say don't get either. If you search back a few years there was an autocrosser who ran these and found them to be rather bad. He did shock dynos and found that the adjusters did not change bump and rebound seperatley. Not only that they changed them erratically. One click would increase rebound, the next both rebound and bump, and the next would drop rebound and and do nothing to bump etc. They also overheated rather quickly. I think they are not worth the money.

I have heard similar stories about JIC's as well on honda-tech.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i read that story about the autocrosser as well as the story about JIC on honda-tech.

But if i were to eliminate these 2 options, im left with tein and from what i read, both JIC and Zeal are superior...so....im sticking with zeal. But im not sure if i should go with the B6 or V6.....all that appears to be different between the 2 is that the V6 has an inverted monotube whereas the B6 has just a monotube (whatever that means)

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
v6 has an inverted monotube on both ends of the car? Also where have you read that JIC and Zeal are better? I would say call up or email Zeal and ask em the difference. In general inverted monotubes would be a better idea.

Honestly I would go with Ground Control's with custom valved Koni's. Or if you are willing to spend the money get a set of Penskes. From what I have seen the Tein's are a bit better than JIC or Zeal. I'm curious as to what else you have found.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
get the tein ssp's w/edfc. you wont regret it and wont have to worry about constantly adusting the damping. besides, why dish out 2 G's for a coilover setup which is supposedly for autox when you will sacrifice ride quality?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
00 scrub: Actually i have been reading up all of the older posts and it would appear that the general consensus is that zeal and JIC are better if u can afford it. Tein is apparently awesome for their price but the other 2 are actually better. So i went to a local supplier and asked him which of the 3 he reckoned was the best and he also agreed that zeal was the best followed by JIC and then Tein.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
00 scrub: also would u mind explaining to me the benefits of an inverted monotube? because i seriously dont know the difference.

Nu Concept: to be honest, the primary reason im going with Zeal is because i will later on be going for their big brake kit. so...i like the idea of consistency although i do worry about it being too stiff.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Inverted monotubes from what I've read are stronger, and they decrease a bit of unsprung weight (I moght be wrong on this part). For struts I have read they also reduce the friction force associated with strut type suspensions.

I just noticed you are from Aus. Why don't you get Whiteline stuff? They have a rather well thoguht out complete suspension kit. They also have springs that will lower your car quite a bit.

I just find it strange that no one really races on Zeal or JIC's in America. They don't seem to be in the same league as Bilstien, Koni, Penske and such. I have heard so many horror stories about JIC's having spring bind, leaking shocks, not enough travel etc. to have a rather low opinion of them. There are a few people in the US that race with Tein's, and in general they have good customer support.

If you are going to drop your car alot, I would go with the company that offers good revalving as it would be a real hassle to have to ship your shocks/coilovers to the USA or Japan to get fixed or refreshed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
00 scrub: Yea, i've decided to go with the B6 since it'll meet my needs better. It has rubber bushings or something that help reduce noise and vibrations and since i'm not track racing the car or anything close to that, i think it'll suffice.

As far as Whiteline goes, they make DECENT suspension...but im looking for something special. Apparently i've been told that fitment isnt fantastic (although this person was not using a celica) and they aren't all that cheap considering that they are locally made and distributed and therefore dont incur shipping and custom taxes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
QWKsilvr808: hmmm...never thought of drummond. They recently helped out in the build or a evo powered mirage here in aust which was pretty awesome. i'll give them a call but i still like the idea of zeal.

edit: okei, i called Drummond and i really like their product. That being said, im still going for Zeal simply for the name and the consistency with future mods. In terms of cost they are only a few hundred dollars different..so no big win there

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well just to let u know, the DMS40s already cost almost as much as the zeal B6(basics) and the guy told me that the DMS 50s are mainly for track use and is just too expensive for street use.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the heads up

Hei, would anyone of you know whether the B6 or V6 offers camber adjustibility. The site says its camber-adjustable for 'strut-type applications' and im unfamiliar with this term..

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I'm going to guess that they mean there are camber plates on the top of the strut bodys. The stock suspension is camber adjustable using the OEM crash bolts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hmm..thanks dude

i just finished reading the JIC problems and im definitely off them. However, all the problems i have read associated with JIC has to do with Hondas. I havent come across any problems with JIC and our cars.
That being said, im going with Zeal anyway. Eventhough they may not perform the best for their price, as long as i dont have any problems with the coilovers, i'll be fine. Im more worried about them crapping on me but i figure a big company like Zeal SHOULD produce quality products.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts