NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, is there anything specific I need to know before I install this zex kit?

Also, I'm going to be running this on the stock airbox. Should I wait and get a CAI first?

I'm gonna try to run a 75 shot on a GT-S. What do I need to do about spark plugs? Also, do you think the engine will hold up to this much of a shot?

Thanks in advance.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
XxMerlinxX said:
Ok, is there anything specific I need to know before I install this zex kit?

Also, I'm going to be running this on the stock airbox. Should I wait and get a CAI first?

I'm gonna try to run a 75 shot on a GT-S. What do I need to do about spark plugs? Also, do you think the engine will hold up to this much of a shot?

Thanks in advance.
if you're going to run a 75 shot you need way colder plugs - I would reccomend Denso irridium IK24s or possibly even IK27s.

and CAIs are easier to mount the spray nozzles on.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
yeah as long as you use colder plugs, zex even makes some, and use higher than 91 octane gas (I'd use 100) you should be fine.

75 on Nx is at the wheels and pushing it a bit too, but 75 on Zex is at the crank so you should be ok. If you get an intake and you have the stock ecu make sure you don't get any obdII lean codes like p0171. it'd definitely be a bad thing to be running lean and then spray...BOOM!

one more thing:
Don't hit the factory rev limiter or fuel cut with the nitrous on. You don't want to momentarily induce a lean condition and cause some engine damage. I called Zex and they actually had the nerve to say it's not that necessary to have a window switch since in testing they momentarily bounced off the rev limiter and the engine was fine. Don't trust them. I'm sure they did not try this on a high compression and high revving GTS. You can get a Mallory window switch to have the nitrous armed only over a certain RPM range below the factory fuel cut. I just bought mine for $130.19 shipped from centuryperformance.com . The Mallory arrived today via UPS so they're a real company. You can get other window switches like from MSD ignition but then you have to get different sets of modules/resistors to specify the RPMs. With the Mallory just program the RPM range.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was actually going to take the rev limiter off and just switch manually (I've got the auto). Therefore I wouldn't need a mallory switch and won't have to worry about hitting the fuel cut-off. Plug wise, should I go with IK24's or IK27's? Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I use ngk 1 step colder than stock for the street 50 shot, and two colder autolites for the drag strip "75" shot, I also use a mix of 94 octane and sunoco gt 104 race gas for the strip.

sorry but I am not for sure on the part numbers for the plugs right off the top of my head, use the search on here because that's how I got the part # for the ngk's, it's on this site a few places.

good luck and take it easy with the rev limiter removal lol

one other thing, you can also get the mallory window switch from jeg's high performance, you're close enough to them it should get there in a couple days probably. (they're in ohio)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts